300tdi coolant .... Why cant i get 11 litres into the system

So I had the bright idea of changing the coolant on my 300tdi as a could not be sure that the local place that did the new water pump did not use the OAT stuff.

Anyway i removed the bottom hose from the radiator and the two bleed screw on the thermostat and radiator and the cap from the reservoir and flushed them all out with a hose pipe for a good long while. refilling the radiator and flushing repeatdly etc.

I know that the 300 tdi is supposedly a capacity of 11 litres in the 300 tdi - so why did the 5 litre of coolant go in no problem and then i only managed to get in a further 1.5 litres of water......

I followed the usual procedure of carefully fillinf thro expansion tank until radiator full and replaced screw, then the thermostat until full and add screw and then run until warm and top up.

Ran until upto temp with heater matrix on and all levels OK

So where is the other 4 litres hiding ?? In the heater matrix???

What I do is flush the engine block with straight water, then connect it all back up and add the correct amount of antifreeze to end up with the correct ratio, and then top up with water until full. That way you always end up with the correct ratios of water/coolant.

The coolant and water will be mixed nicely after a bit of running time :)

My 300TDI does not have a drain plug on the block (can't find it looked all over) so can't drain the block. Drain what I can fill with 5l concentrate anti freeze top up with water. Then keep topped up with ready mixed anti freeze as required. No problem

How easy is it to snap that drain plug? I'm petrified of trying to undo it.

Hard to say really, mine undid fine without problems and looked like it had never been removed before .... I recall it being quite easy to remove, but that was 8 months ago and memory fades ;)

PS That was before the engine was painted hence the lack of marks in the picture.