Steering shafts, 90/110 PAS

ejparrott

Not sure if anyone has mentioned it but is it a problem not having the weak crash part of the shaft in it to stop the steering column cracking you in the chest/face in the event of an accident?

Does look pretty though!

Jad

Discovery doesn't have the same arrangement as the 90/110 so I didn't see the need. The disco shaft I have has only a half inch of slider in the middle, and I think that only for adjustment really, not the crash thingy.

Discovery doesn't have the same arrangement as the 90/110 so I didn't see the need. The disco shaft I have has only a half inch of slider in the middle, and I think that only for adjustment really, not the crash thingy.

No, But the original design for the 90/110 one does have the crash thingy on it!, and as much as I appreciate all of your hard work in doing this shaft(Oooh err missus :ph34r: ) I'd still be very cautious to say the least if you do have an accident that where the shaft will end up

JMHO

John

The disco one is designed to break away in case of an accident I think, at least that's what it looks like.

The disco wouldn't be any different though would it? There's no collapsible shaft on that, the chassis is the same style, the column is the same style.....

For anyone interested, the technical details we used are

En16 material

Diameter 18.85mm

48 splines,

90 degree,0.2tip rad tool.

cut to fit, altering machine offsets as required (different for all tools and machines)

The disco wouldn't be any different though would it? There's no collapsible shaft on that, the chassis is the same style, the column is the same style.....

For anyone interested, the technical details we used are

En16 material

Diameter 18.85mm

48 splines,

90 degree,0.2tip rad tool.

cut to fit, altering machine offsets as required (different for all tools and machines)

bog standard tooling then.

yupyup...Steve was quite impressed with himself, to say he'd only whipped it off quick.

While there's a debate about the sensibility of it, I've fitted the 90/110 shaft...

2012-05-04_13-12-04_773.jpg

To compare with Western's, it fits in at 19½" over the ouside of the UJ's, and about 16¾" between UJ pivots - not easy to measure being on the angle!

Discovery steering column http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45840/ note the collapsible lattice section & lower steering shaft http://www.numcat.ru/landrover/p/32/45831/ large rubber dampr & simialr if not the same UJ as 90/110.

Interesting, the disco column i've got in the shed doesn't have that feature. The UJ's are the same as 90/110, well almost, the splines are the same, but its made of ali. The rubber donut is only 6mm thick, and the top UJ is partly integeral, which is why it doesn't reach mine. Interestling, my 90/110 part cat shows the same style shaft for later models - forgot what VIN it was.