Hazard Warning Lamp illumination from Carling Switch

What age of dash?

On a Td5 dashboard the hazard warning indicator (ie. the red triangle icon on the warning light panel) is fed with a live feed to pin 9 of the 20-way connector on the back of the warning light panel. Simply connect this to the 'hazards on' output of your hazards switch and it should flash accordingly.

On a Tdi dashboard I wasn't aware of a hazard warning indicator other than the one in the switch itself.

pre td5 dash warning light panel didn't have a hazard red triangle symbol until the late 300tdi & some spec editiion V8's like the 50th annivesary 90 station wagon.

Note the minor changes to indicator arrows & glowplug symbols

1st is my original '89 110's panel

2nd is a 200Tdi panel & posibly some 300Tdi

3rd is a 50th annivesary 90 panel, note the indicator arrows are split, hazard triabgle,

I was intending to fit this to my 110, but opted for the Td5 panel instead.

post-20-0-57553800-1336593324_thumb.jpeg

post-20-0-92451700-1336593388_thumb.jpg

post-20-0-93413600-1336593504_thumb.jpg

Sorry western, slightly confused here, I have a td5 dash (so have the hazard warning lamp) but there is no output that I can see on the Carling Hazard switch I purchased from Mud to indicate the hazards are on. Have I missed the connector somehow?

PieEater,

I've been scratching my nodel on this one too, at least theoretically, on my circuit diagram. Short answer on this one is, no, there is no hazard dash light output on a Carling switch (it's built into the switch illumination itself).

The easiest way I can think to make the Hazard LED illuminate is by using a relay as an AND gate. Use the two indicator headers as inputs & the hazard symbol as an output.

When I get near my computer again I'll post up a diagram to show you what I mean

Matt

You can more easily make an AND gate from a pair of relays. Just connect the contacts in series so power has to flow through both sets of contacts to illuminate the dash indicator. With Inddicators, only one of the two relays will energise. With Hazards, both will and illuminate the lamp.

Si

Si, do you mean take the earth feed for one as the output of another?

Alternatively could you not just use a single relay, taking:

30 - lh indicator

86 - rh indicator

85 - standard earth

87 - hazard switch

Would this not ensure that it was only switched on when power was flowing through the relay via 86 and is tripped by 30? Or would the on off timing cause problems?

PieEater,

I don't know if you ever managed to solve this doozie. A bit late but here’s my take on how the indicator circuit should work with a TD5 instrument pack and Carling hazard switch. Note this circuit has a few more bells and whistles, in that it has LED compatible relay AND a separate trailer flasher relay – this is so I can have any combination of LED lights /filament lights and LED light/filament lights on the trailer, and still all will flash correctly, and the trailer tell-tale will still work. And no need for ‘smart load’ devices (since when was a resistor smart???) And there’s no annoying trailer buzzer that some other trailer relays insist upon. Also, there’s inputs for the flash function on the Hawk Alarm (separately fused).

Note, I have pretty much re-wired the whole indicator cicuit. There’s a ‘header’ connector behind the dash for left and right circuits. I’m redoing the chassis loom as well as the wing looms (light wiring upgrade a la mmgemini) hence it’s just quicker to redo everything, particularly as the physical location of hazard switch moves. But, I have kept the existing fuse locations.

Part Number Balloons work as follows:

WW(XXXX/YY)ZZ

Where:

WW Quantity needed in this case (e.g. pins on a connector)

XXXX Manufacturer’s part number – usually Durite, but can be RS numbers or Carling – either way, putting the number into Google will reveal what it is

YY Quantity supplied per bag/box of XXXX part number (e.g. number of pins in the bag)

ZZ Size range or delimiter (e.g. in the case of connector pins <1 would mean pins used for cables upto 1mm2, <2.5 up to 2.5mm2)

Cable ident balloons work as follows:

(XX-YY-ZZZ)

Where:

XX Cable colour according to LR std (it is a BS std but probably long obsolete)

YY Cable cross-sectional area in mm2

ZZZ Cable ID number

Where there’s an ‘E’ instead of a Cable ID number, that means that’s the existing loom. A ‘?’ denotes something that I’m unsure of, e.g. the cross-sectional area of an existing cable. I’ve been lazy, some of the shorter wires don’t have IDs.

Note: this entire circuit is untested, and will be for quite a while! It's just what I've knocked up over a few lunch-breaks to enable me to wire everything up quicker when I do get to that stage in proceedings!

Ultimate Indicator Circuit.pdf

Ultimate Indicator Circuit - Wiring BOM extract.pdf

Si, do you mean take the earth feed for one as the output of another?

Alternatively could you not just use a single relay, taking:

30 - lh indicator

86 - rh indicator

85 - standard earth

87 - hazard switch

Would this not ensure that it was only switched on when power was flowing through the relay via 86 and is tripped by 30? Or would the on off timing cause problems?

That's a much better way of doing it!

87 connects to the dash indicator, the other terminal of which goes to earth.

Give yourself a gold star!

Si

Arse! Serves me right for attempting to review that circuit in a hurry! The observant amongst you will have spotted the mistake, in that the indicator stalk wasn't wired to anything! Have updated and corrected below

Ultimate Indicator Circuit2.pdf

Ultimate Indicator Circuit - Wiring BOM extract2.pdf

And yes I know the writing appears tiny - you should be able to zoom on the pdf until it all becomes legible. .dwg files don't seem to upload for some reason. The idea when wiring up the truck will be to only print out the area needed, such as the raptor console and fuse box, and the wiring can hopefully done in bite-size chunks...