worrying noises from prop, or handbrake drum, or elsewhere....!?&#

I've been hearing some not so good noises from under and behind the truck cab of my pickup recently. I'll try to describe it, and somebody out there may have an idea...

Firstly, sometimes when pulling off i get a loud, medium pitched 'ping'. I can get almost exactly the same sound by tapping the rear prop with a metal tent peg. (Yes, i have spent time under the truck tapping things with a tent peg. Good grief.....)

More worrying but less frequent is the sound you would get if you held said tent peg against the spinning blades of one of those fancy chrome fans you see in 50's american films. (This i havn't replicated, but in my head, that's the sound!)

This second noise doesn't happen much, but it was present after almost every gear change and occasionally when sat at constant speed when towing on monday. Lets just say it was a long, worrying drag back from the west of ireland!

There has always been a need to go steady with the clutch on this truck to avoid clunky gear changes. Something i've always assumed was play in diff or t-box. Now i wonder if it's related to the 'ping-ticky-ticky' noises.

The props and uj's are in good condition. The ticky-ticky 'tent peg in fan noise' increases in speed with the revolutions of the engine (more likely the gearbox actually). Seems worse when under load.

I have had the pickup fairly loaded up in the past couple of months. Maybe carrying a lot has pushed something over the edge?

My first thoughts was maybe something in the t-box, but could somthing in the handbrake drum be causing it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

The sound you describe doesn't match the sound I had when I had the issue shown in the video, the worn shaft on mine made a bang loud enough to make you soil yourself when ever the slack got taken up which would be gear changes, starting off, going from reverse to forward was always a doozy and not forgetting going from overrun to accelerating.

I think you may have a different issue, however I have no idea what your pinging is. If you want to check for worn splines as in the video it's only 6 bolts to remove the cover and have a look though.

I'll second Andy here. Any tinny pimging noise and I'd go straight to the props. Did you have the handbrake off and out of gear when you checked the prop's/ u/j's ?

The fronts u/ j's do seize and often the only way to check is to remove the front prop.

The sound you describe doesn't match the sound I had when I had the issue shown in the video, the worn shaft on mine made a bang loud enough to make you soil yourself when ever the slack got taken up which would be gear changes, starting off, going from reverse to forward was always a doozy and not forgetting going from overrun to accelerating.

I think you may have a different issue, however I have no idea what your pinging is. If you want to check for worn splines as in the video it's only 6 bolts to remove the cover and have a look though.

Oops just realised you have two sounds and Mr EJParrot was talking about the second noise, that could indeed be worn splines on the gear box output shaft.

thanks all for the replies.

There certainly can be a trouser worrying bang on take off, though my softly soflty approach to the cluch seems to limit it a bit!

I'll get the spanners out and do a thourough investigation of the props. That seems to be the general concensus on what's amiss....

Softly softly does limit it, when I drive the 110 (I have 'drive other vehicles' on my insurance) I tend to be quite gentle with it/the clutch in general, and it doesn't do it often on me. It does it every time on the owner, in all gears, because he's not as gentle as me.

Sorry CW, I should have pointed out which noise I was referring to!

Softly softly does limit it, when I drive the 110 (I have 'drive other vehicles' on my insurance) I tend to be quite gentle with it/the clutch in general, and it doesn't do it often on me. It does it every time on the owner, in all gears, because he's not as gentle as me.

Sorry CW, I should have pointed out which noise I was referring to!

You did say the clunky gear change so it was just me failing to read properly :(

Worn splines do make you very good at gentle clutch work :)

still havn't got under, but when driving today, there was a total absence of the 'multi ping' noises. So they were definately made worse when towing the caravan.

My ever wise and practical missus suggested 'oh well, whatever it was has probably dropped off now. So that's good.'

a girl after my own heart. If it ain't there, it can't make a noise.... : )

Is there anything simple and inexpensive to do about worn splines, if that's whats causing the clunk? Or do we just live with it until it 'drops off'. :/

nope. Only solution is a new gearbox mainshaft and a new t'box input gear.

Not strictly speaking true..... there is a way to get a few more miles out of it (although it could be described as a bodge).

You get the spline wear because the input gear isn't a cross drilled one, the cross drilled one has longer splines than the non cross drilled. So you get to run on the unworn parts of the splines on the gearbox, I have done this on an R380 so I don't know if the same applies to the lt77 .... anyway I've done about 12000 miles since changing the input gear and I haven't got my clunk back yet ..... my worn splines were almost completely gone at the time I changed the gear.

so in other words, remove the transfer box, swap out the input gear for one from a cross drilled transfer box, and run on that 'til the end of the splines on the gearbox output shaft wear away?

You say bodge, i say excellent solution to an annoying issue!

I suppose fitting a complete 'cross drilled' transfer box is the easier way of achieving the same effect? What year did the design change? How can i tell them apart? I'm currently running what a believe to be a 1998 gear and transfer box.

Well this is what my gearbox output shaft looked like when I removed the transfer box ...

post-25689-0-55598800-1337451224_thumb.jpg

You can see the unworn part of the splines that can be used by the cross drilled gear.

I bought a replacement transfer box that had a cross drilled gear in it as my transfer box was a little, ahem... 'past best' but you can of course just get the input gear from ashcrofts and use it in your old transfer box if that's still ok (this will involve reshimming the bearings).

I'm sure one of the others will know when the cross drilled was fitted as standard, however there have been a lot retrofitted so it's down to have a good nose when you are buying. The input gear is easy to remove and the holes are quite obvious.

EDIT: The picture is of an R380, I have no idea how long the splines are on an LT77. It would be a good idea to inspect the splines of your box before buying anything. It's very easy to remove the input gear with the transfer box still in place so can be done in about 20 minutes ;)

Edited by CwazyWabbit

Taken from tech archive post http://forums.lr4x4....t=0#entry150884

You now need to remove the input gear, which involves removing the rear cover and bearing track carrier.

Remove the 6 x 17mm bolts (note ine should have a handbrake cable support bracket/clip on - they are normally brocken, but you can use the bracket with a cable tie to do the same job). You may also have an Earth cable attached to one of the bolts, as in this picture.

med_gallery_2_304_403963.jpg

With the cover plate off - you can see the bearing track carrier. Early 90/110's will have a couple of big cross-head screw holding the carrier in place, these will have to be removed.

med_gallery_2_304_244252.jpg

The carrier, and the input shaft gear still in position

med_gallery_2_304_359445.jpg

You will notice the red paste around the input shaft where it comes through the gear. This is an early sign of premature wear of the two due to poor lubrication. A cross-drilled gear will cure this problem.

med_gallery_2_304_451536.jpg

With a bit of careful wiggling of the gear and associated gears, it will come out of the transfer case.

med_gallery_2_304_1166961.jpg

The input shaft - check the condition of the splines for wear.

med_gallery_2_304_1044291.jpg

Yeah, the LT77s have shorter mainshaft splines.

The longer splines on the R380 was another part of Land Rover's attempts to solve the premature wear issue :)

So why did they still fit LT230's with the short splined input gear to the R380? Seems a tad silly!

No probs enjoy your dirty sunday ;)

Even if the weather is too wet to do this from under the car you can also manage it through the access plate under the centre set/cubby box.

Post some pictures so we may all see your wear (if any) :)