Expanding foam as corrosion protectant

I have taken the panel off my driver's door as there was a fair amount of rust at the bottom. Having brushed and painted with rust converter, I was wondering the best way to protect it for the future. Thought about heating/thinning some underbody sealant and pouring that into the box section at the bottom, but then thought that since expanding foam required moisture to go off, filling the section with that would not only soak up any moisture still remaining, but prevent anything further from entering. I could paint over the resulting foam with sealant just to make sure.

Any (constructive) comments?

What about going one stage further though. Fill the remaining section with expanding foam and let it harden. Then peal back and remove remains of original door frame. Drill a few holes for trim studs and pop the door card back onto your nice new rot/rust resistant semi rigid door frame.

Nige, you remind me of when I first went to repair my 2A doors many moons ago. Don't think they had expanding foam then as the frame had previously been bodged by packing it full of kindling (sp? chopped wood anyway) with a light covering of body filler.