Electric vacuum pump for extra braking power?

SeriousIIa

In my 350 powered 127 I'm not yet satisfied by the stopping abilites. I've fitted a TD5 ABS double servo to a non ABS system, which gives some extra omph.

The brakes lock up fine when I'm driving on the highway (4 smoking 36m inch tires) or around town. But when manouvring offroad I miss some extra assist. This is probably because I'havent got a lot of vacuum at all especially at WOT. This is because of a special high performance camshaft. So I'm playing with the idea to put an electric vacuumpump paralel to the exisiting system with a one-way valve to the manifold in that way I've always got enough vacuum pressure.

Please your opinions about this solution?

And is there a standard what the vacuum should be normally for braking? can I measure this?

Cheers Bowy

Do you have a one-way valve to stop the vacuum in the brake cylinder disappearing when you open the throttle? TD4 Freelanders have a vacuum reservoir for the turbo/EGT actuators, one of those after the one-way valve might help.

Agreeing with fridge here: if the brakes are ok at one particularly rpm, but not on others, your non return valve is not working properly. Try switching of the engine and brake; if it has no boost, your one way valve is broken.

Daan