Todays Big Dilema

mcc1979ian

Ok todays big dilema is which engine do i buy

3.9 efi or 4.6 gems

will be replacing 200 tdi and will be mated to a LT77 v8 box to avoid bodywork mods

which will be less problematic in the long run

all opinions greatfully received

oh yeah its to go into a 90!!

3.9 Esier to fit and work on and get running, parts more accesible, engine revs quicker and smoother than 4.6

3.9s are on the whole far more relaible than GEMS 4.6s

4.6s are more powerfull, not in sheer BHP terms more in torque and grunt, but can have liner problems and the GEMS system is complex

If it was me I would check out the 4.6 - drive it hard for 20 mins and then check top hose - balloned or rock hard walk away, OK then

I would buy the 4.6 but any doubt don't

Whats the prices of both ?

Nige

GEMS as a system is more complex but either would convert about as easily to megasquirt ;) and the later GEMS inlet manifold gains you ~20lb/ft of torque low-down if memory serves. 4.6 makes more of everything, you can buy an entire P38 for not very much too.

£500 for a 39'000 ml 3.9 efi but they dont gaurantee it

£800 for 101'000 ml 4.6 gems

neither is fitted up nor can be heard driving but the 3.9 is the one you sent me as an example the other day nige

both come with ecu and loom

GEMS as a system is more complex but either would convert about as easily to megasquirt ;) and the later GEMS inlet manifold gains you ~20lb/ft of torque low-down if memory serves. 4.6 makes more of everything, you can buy an entire P38 for not very much too.

That's the the Thor inlet manifold, GEMS is still the same as the older ones.

Stay away from Thor stuff unless you like a challenge :lol:

I have bought quite a lot from Emmots - all has been good.

a 101,000 mile 4.6 at £800 is hardly a bargain unless your 101% sure of its condition 4.6 wise AND Mileage wise

for that money I would want a cast iron clad gauarnatee

£500 for a 3.9 is OK, but NOT unless its guarnateed,

Keep shopping, find a runner, listen to it check the oil, lift a rocker and look at the top of the head for condition

drive it check for smoke do a compression test etc etc

There are LOADS out there, make sure you buy a good one, if there is any doubt walk away to the next one

Better to pay More than the above prices and KNOW what your getting

Nige

a 101,000 mile 4.6 at £800 is hardly a bargain unless your 101% sure of its condition 4.6 wise AND Mileage wise

for that money I would want a cast iron clad gauarnatee

£500 for a 3.9 is OK, but NOT unless its guarnateed,

What he said - try calling Martin Toole 07885 399785, he should be able to sell you any V8 you want.