Any Garmin C60.. users here?

SteveG

Ah seems like I answered my own question with some further digging. Seem you can only do it via a serial cable as data signal is disabled when using USB. So now I have to go and buy another Garmin 30 ukp cable and also a serial to USB adapter.

Why they do this and still use serial port I don't understand. USB is quite capable of these sort of comms.

Cheers

Steve

Do you need to send waypoints to the Garmin or use it's GPS function? Could you transfer waypoints via SD card? If you want GPS signal for the laptop, perhaps a USB GPS 'mouse' might be a better, cheaper and more effective option - if a little less bling looking.

Chris

use an older and cheaper laptop :P

the old CF-27's have a USB for a GPS mouse and a Serial port for the Garmin, I tend to use the two systems independantly but because its all interchangable theres redundancy if one system goes wobly. High gain 20 channel mice are the grooviest if you are heading that way. To be more accurate my navigator does all this stuff, I just turn the round thing and look out the window :)

Chris - yes I wanted to use it as a GPS feed into laptop. Thanks for the suugestion on USB GPS mouse. I was going to look into that too for prices.

I think I'll end up using both. Gps mouse for laptop and garmin C60 for route tracking, speedo ans accurate trip. Also compass and barometer which I always use!! ;) ;) ;)

What make of usb mouse is good?

Cheers

Steve

pretty much of a muchness, 12 channel is normal, 20 channel is better, get as wide an operating angle as possible, mag mount, low profile and waterproof, its surprising just how much of a kicking they will take but if you are somewhere particularly unpleasant then for the cost and size of them take a spare. knotting them to something immobile is handy - if they do decide to take fancy to a piece of local greenery then the cable will snap as opposed to spooling out in a commedy fashion and mullering a USB port on the laptop <_<

You can use the Garmin USB cable to talk to Memory Map. You need to set the Garmin output to NMEA, and set the Memory Map GPS set up to serial port. No need to buy another cable. I have a 60 CS and it works fine with MM.

If you use a GPS mouse, get a SIRF 3 type. These are sensitive enough not ot need to be put outside the vehicle. They will work through the metal roof. So, no risk of getting it snagged on undergrowth etc.

You can use the Garmin USB cable to talk to Memory Map. You need to set the Garmin output to NMEA, and set the Memory Map GPS set up to serial port. No need to buy another cable. I have a 60 CS and it works fine with MM.

If you use a GPS mouse, get a SIRF 3 type. These are sensitive enough not ot need to be put outside the vehicle. They will work through the metal roof. So, no risk of getting it snagged on undergrowth etc.

I tried NMEA and set MM to serial 4800 8N1 and no joy on all 9 COM ports. I also checked ports using hyperterm for stream and there was none. Maybe I should have another go. Did you have settings on 60CS set to NMEA IN and OUT?

Thanks

Steve

Ciderman - you should be ok just make sure that drivers for serial to usb device are creating a virtual com port. Look this up in Device Manager under ports to see which port has been allocated and then configure in Memory Map for that port.

Had another look on mine and no joy. It seems that the Garmin USB drivers don't create a virtual COM port and without this I can't seem to get the 60CS to talk to the PC on NMEA via the USB.

The 60CS works fine with Mapsource with the Garmin interface over USB, but no luck with NMEA and Memory Map.

Cheers

Steve

OK I've fixed it...

Downloaded an app called GPSGate, that acts as a virtual serial port and doesn't even require NMEA to work but supports that over USB too.

You get a 14 day free trial and then can buy GPSGate Express for just $9.95. You even get to share GPS with multiple apps and over Bluetooth simultaneously. Not quite sure why I need that yet, but hey it sound good! B) B) B)

Link here..GPSGate

Cheers

Steve