Anyone driven a new Defender?

Has anyone on here driven a MY12 Defender? Reason I ask is 'cos I've spent the weekend driving a new transit minibus from Snowdon to Fort William for the annual work 'charidee' challenge. It pulls bloody well for a tranny all through the 6 gears so an empty Defender should go like a scalded cat. If only there wasn't a bar-steward 62mph limiter on the thing!!!

Ok, so I'm unlikely to buy a MY12 defender but just in case I do give up this engineering lark & start a business where I 'need' one...what are people's thoughts?

I drove a new 90 a couple of weeks ago, the first since a late 300 tdi and I have to say I was very impressed. It had lots of get up and go, was reasonably civilised for a Defender, but definitely still a Land Rover!

I only drive it down some country lanes unloaded so can't comment on what it would be like to live with or to work, but the little 2.2 didn't seem to be lacking.

Some people here actually own Puma's :o

Would I go back to an earlier model [i've owned most of 'em] for day to day use? Nope.

What do I think of the 2.2 over the 2.4? For me the jury is out, potential QC issues aside, unlike my first Puma I'll wait until the 2.2 has been out a while before deciding whether to buy one.

For what it's worth if I could have one without that dashboard and with a proper clutch then I wouldn't object. I have nothing against the new engine, which I think is quite good performance wise and pulls well. 6-speed box seems to work okay as well. The refinement is very nice.

As above, QC appears to be an issue from what I read on Defender2. Many threads about corrosion issues, flaking paint, broken bits. But Land Rovers have always been horrendously built after all.

Again speaking as an actual owner who has also owned most of the earlier models going well back to Series days FWIW I find the Puma dash to be solid, user friendly and easy to use. The ability to be able to place heat or cold from a reasonably effective heater and blower pretty much where you want it in itself is an improvement over earlier versions.

The 2.4 pulls and tows well enough and the 6 speed box makes for more relaxed cruising straight out of the box but I remain to be convinced that the DPF as fitted to the 2.2 is going to fit in with my Defender use.

Again speaking as an actual owner who has also owned most of the earlier models going well back to Series days FWIW I find the Puma dash to be solid, user friendly and easy to use. The ability to be able to place heat or cold from a reasonably effective heater and blower pretty much where you want it in itself is an improvement over earlier versions.

The 2.4 pulls and tows well enough and the 6 speed box makes for more relaxed cruising straight out of the box

Exactly my experience, and I too have had Series 1, 11 & 111 and most incarnations of Defender/90/110 plus Discos and Range Rovers.

I'm currently on my second Puma, a 2011 2.4 and prefer it to the earlier models. The six speed gearbox is great and the clutch is not a problem at all. I like the dash layout, it's different at first but the layout of controls is much better.

I have driven a 2012 2.2 demonstrator for 24 hours and it was very similar, not any better than the 2011 though.

My 2.4 110 CSW does about 27 mpg average.

Cheers

John

As above, QC appears to be an issue from what I read on Defender2. Many threads about corrosion issues, flaking paint, broken bits. But Land Rovers have always been horrendously built after all.

This is the same scare mongering that the TD5s suffered from, build quality is no worse than earlier models (no better either lol) and as with most forums people don't tend to post that their Defender has been fine, only complain about problems.

I've driven a Puma off road, but not on road. Good points: quieter and the electrickery that stops the engine from stalling. Bad points that awful dash and an even worse seating position for the taller and (ahem) built like the brick proverbial!!

This is the same scare mongering that the TD5s suffered from, build quality is no worse than earlier models (no better either lol) and as with most forums people don't tend to post that their Defender has been fine, only complain about problems.

Which, if you read my post that you've quoted, is exactly what I've said :rolleyes:

Shoddy build quality has always been an issue for Defenders. No scaremongering at all.

I've driven a Puma off road, but not on road. Good points: quieter and the electrickery that stops the engine from stalling. Bad points that awful dash and an even worse seating position for the taller and (ahem) built like the brick proverbial!!

I can't see that the seating position is any different from the TD5's, mind you that's not to say that either of them are exactly overburdened with right elbow and legroom.