Cant get the viscous fan off!

As above. I just can't get the thing off! 200tdi engine. I have the spanner for the nut, but its too tight. I've tried tightening the belt to hold the pulley, tried a chain wrench on the pulley, tried stuffing a rag under the belt to add tension, but it won't come loose. I've also tried whacking the spanner with a hammer whilst holding the pulley in the various ways, but no luck! (apart from denting the thermostat housing when I missed the spanner. Doh!)

My dads got my big stilsons, but I won't be over there to grab them for a few weeks.

Any other methods?

I would not use a chain wrench.... too much slippage.

I used a belt type wrench, real el cheepo, but it worked, called a boa I think, sure there are many other names / brands, put a tube over the handle to lock it in place (bit of leverage) and used the spanner on the nut (be aware that someone else may not have known it was LH thread.... [don't know how long u had the landie / if you did it previous]).

Clean the pulley with something like fairy liquid to remove the oil+grease and dry off well (use a hair dryer if you're in a hurry or leave for a while on a hot (hahahaha :hysterical: ) day.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?aq=f&sugexp=chrome,mod=19&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=boa+wrench#q=boa+wrench&hl=en&safe=active&prmd=imvns&source=univ&tbm=shop&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=8zvzT5unN-rG0QWQs-WvCQ&ved=0CHYQrQQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=616a7f9838c5dd9&biw=1517&bih=714

Thanks chaps. I've tried a bar in the hole, but it wasnt a tight fit, so i'll search out a better one.

The chain wrench gripped, but i bent the handle with the force i needed to hold it still whilst i tried the spanner.

Unfortunately its my fault its so tight as i put this one on (although in my defence, i guess it can tighten as it spins?)!

Have you tried heat? And I mean serious heat (oxy-acetylene)

Not serious heat. I have tried doing it when the engine is hot in the hope that that might help.

I didnt even do it up that tight when i put it on in the hope that it wouldnt be a problem when i wanted to take it off!! I'll have another go with a better fitting bar int he hole.

Be careful with "serious heat" (oxy/acetylene etc) as if may knacker the seal.....

Would suggest leverage and a person on each spanner / wrench working against each other, each spanner + wrench on the end of a long length of pipe.

If you have a cheapo spanner (been there done that) they don't last long with a bit of good force behind them.

Whack with a hammer may do it, but I would go down the leverage route

You can make a tool for doing this.

Goes over three of the bolts which hold the pulley on and act on those to lock it up letting you use more leveage on the fan.

Difflock sell a tool to do this for most V8's and TD5 engines but at the moment not for a 200 or 300tdi engine although a prototype for this does exist. Have a look at there site for and idea of what I mean, anyone with reasonable metal working skills should be able to knock up something similar.