Can I run my winch off a Lighter Socket? );

simonr

The lighter plug on my cool-box was getting very hot, and you had to wiggle it to make it work at all - not ideal from the point of view of keeping stuff cool!

So, I made this:

lighterplug.jpg

A standard plug is supposedly rated at 10A, but they are rarely up to it! I would rate this at closer to 500A! - So, yes, you can run a winch from a lighter socket!

Granted, the socket and wiring loom would catch fire - but it's a start!

Si

That could be a good idea for a lot of reasons!

Simon, make the equivelent socket rated for properly high current and then make the plug with a fuse in it. That would then make a great standardised power socket up grade that can run all existing accessories and some! Fusing the plug would allow the socket to be on a whatever it can be rated at Amp circuit and then the accessory could be fused accordingly.

I'd go for that in the car and the tractor!

A good altenative to the Anderson plug.

Fuse? Naaa, fuses are for softies!

I do plan to make an Über-Socket for it! I was going to make it last night, but didn't have any big enough lumps of Brass or Copper.

I do have quite a cool job really!

Si