3.9 v8 90 exhaust

Hi just wondering if anybody's found a solution to the following, I'm fitting a 4.0 into a 90 using 3.9 manifolds, i was going to use ntc7320 as its the larger diameter I think, but then I've read/been told you have to replace the crossmember and then it sits below the crossmember, I know it'll get squashed there at some point so before I buy ntc7320 and do a cut and shut on it, if that's possible, I haven't checked yet. Has anyone already done his and if so how? Cheers mike

Mike, I make that part number to be a RRC 3.9 non-cat downpipe, which is what I used on my 3.9 in my 90.

As my truck is a factory fitted V8, the engine position is further forward than some people position it when converting from a 4 cyl.

However the down pipes line up rather well with the rear end of a Td5 system that happened to be available at the time. IIRC I had to chop a couple of inches of pipe out ahead of the downpipe's joint with the rear section.

This gives me an exhaust note that is very civilised in the cab (except for when giving it a boot full :D ), but still sounds distinctly V8 from outside.

My only gripe is that on one side downpipes do hang down below the chassis rails by about an inch, so can get clobbered when off-roading.

Oh and yes, I had to swap to the rounded section RRC gearbox crossmember. The original V8 90 system went above the old crossmember

Edited by mickeyw

Hi mickey did you send me those pics a few weeks ago or was it someone else.

I just want to see if there's something that'll fit above the crossmember, failing that I'll start modifying things, either crossmember or downpipes, the amount of dents in my crossmember shows that any exhaust below it won't last past it's first off road outing :)

It was me who sent the pictures! I do not know the part number, but downpipes are non cat 3.9 efi as fitted to 1990 RR Classic. When I get home (in Germany at the moment) I can take photo of cross member clearance if you are planning on putting the exhaust above. From memory it is not alot of room as you will need to be at a height where you are very close to front prop UJ.

Toby

Oh cheers Toby, couldn't remember your username.

Well I've been out to have a nosey and there's loads of room on the n/s but as you said its a little tight on the o/s because of the drive flange, it all depends on the pipe size, so does anyone have the larger bore 3.9 pipes and wouldn't mind measuring both the pipe outside diameter and the overall size of bothe pipes if that makes sense.

I'd thought of cutting the crossmember about but looking at it I don't think it's doable because it's so close to the chassis.

Cheers guys

• 6 years later...

Hi there new to all this I’ve bought a defender it’s got a 3.9 efi fitted with brand new lt85 gearbox problem is with exhaust think it had a stainless steel exhaust witch has plaques on them saying falcon and part numbers but can’t track anything to replace it with it’s only fitted with this one box anyone got any idieas thanks

If you want a decent stainless exhaust that is guaranteed for ever. Go to PD Gough near Nottingham. They will build you a bespoke exhaust while you wait, for a few hours so take a good book, so it is a good fit, works well and doesn't cost the earth, not quite.