Advice needed to loosen crank pulley bolt

mcc1979ian

Evening all, im struggling to loosen the bolt on my crankshaft pulley, it just wont budge. As its a project iv not got a flywheel on the back to help prevent the crank from turning. Iv sat for ages staring at the thing, trying to think of ways to get it loose but have given up as i cant think of anyway to do it.

How would you do it?

If it helps the engine is a 4.6 Gems V8

Temporarily stick a flywheel on and lock it up?

Take it to someone who has a decent impact gun and give it a rattle?

I backed mine off last week quite easily.. Not that that helps but at least they are not Tdi tight!

Not the most favorable way to get it off but works as a last resort.

remove the coil pack cables

Use a socket and large breaker bar, wedge the bar against the floor.

flick the engine over on the key. The impact of the bar hitting the floor is generally enough to loosen off the most stubbern of bolts.

EDIT.....

Just read the post propperly... no flywheel or starter I'm an idiot. I guess its on a stand?

Another option is to screw a couple of long bolts into the rear of the crank and place a bar between them to counter act the force of undoing the crank bolt...

Temporarily stick a flywheel on and lock it up?

Take it to someone who has a decent impact gun and give it a rattle?

I backed mine off last week quite easily.. Not that that helps but at least they are not Tdi tight!

No can do wi the flwheel, i just dont have one yet, got a couple of rattle guns, so may give that a try

Just wondering if i took the sump off if i could wedge the crank with a bit of wood/metal wrapped in a rag or tape of course

You have to renew the flywheel bolts anyway. So two bolts and a bar will hold the crank...Then flog it off using a hammer and ring spanner.

It wouldn't suprise me if you can flog it off without holding the crank.

Using the wood is soo old fashioned I've wondered why you haven't already done that. It's a much better way then trying anything else. DON'T use a hammer shaft. You might snap it.

I've used a socket extension bar pushed through a spark plug hole before now to stop an engine rotating - probably not the safest way with an alloy head and pistons but combined with heating up around the bolt first and a rattle gun might just do it if the bolt isn't mega tight??

The crank locking tool difflock sell says it is for a 200 / 300tdi but it works on a 4.6V8 or at least it did on my 95 P38. Only got 2 of the 4 bolts to fit but it was sufficient. Also works quite well as something to wobble and pull the pulley off with.

They aren't cheap but they do work (you can normally get a special price if you see them at one of the shows).

Alternately if you are handy with a welder and drill you could knock up something similar yourself.

With the engine out you may struggle to find something to brace it on and since you have the room for a good rattle gun that is often the best idea, if yours isn't man enough for the job I expect if you took the entire engine down to a local garage they would knock it off for you for a small bribe.

I'd give it a rattle gun or impact driver / hammer, the crank & pistons have a fair bit of inertia behind them so sharp taps may well free it.

Also, check you're undoing it the right way - I know sometimes these sorts of things are left-hand-thread but on the V8 it's a normal bolt.

Ok so removed the sump as was gona clean it out and replace the gasket anyway, got a bit 2x2 box section and covered the end in an old thick rubber glove, slipped it in between the crank and the block right at the front and used the half inch breaker bar and it released easily. Thanks for all the advice.