Superwinch hydraulic PTO oil catcher dimensions.

CwazyWabbit

The oil catcher is missing from the hydraulic PTO I picked up the other day, the part looks simple enough to make but I need a few dimensions.

The part is part 31 in the following exploded diagram.

post-25689-0-28157100-1346882802_thumb.jpg

The two main dimensions I am after are the overall length and the diameter of the pipe .... length of cut out would be handy too I guess.

I have never seen one of these in my life, but have seen them mentioned on the partslist, like yourself. I has not been a problem, although with dropbox has its own oil volume. plus if you do a decent hill climb, the PTO gets more oil than it would ever dream off.

Daan

When you've made it, do post up the measurements as I'm not 100% sure my PTO has one of those now I've seen this thread... :ph34r:

When I've worked it out I'll post up some pictures and measurements.

I have never seen one of these in my life, but have seen them mentioned on the partslist, like yourself. I has not been a problem, although with dropbox has its own oil volume. plus if you do a decent hill climb, the PTO gets more oil than it would ever dream off.

Daan

I hope at some point to use this for both winching and using a log splitter, whilst the winching would probably be fine as you suggest I'd be a bit more worried about the extended use with a stationary vehicle when log splitting.

It would be interesting to know if anyone has actually got the oil catcher fitted :)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found some pictures of fitted ones, it does seem to just be made of some brazed up bits of pipe.

What confuses me is what holds it firm, in the pictures you can see it's not a tight fit in the holes, yet doesn't droop :blink:

I think I'll turn mine out of solid bar as I have some kicking about.

post-25689-0-98732200-1348614891_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-80461400-1348614906_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-15067100-1348614918_thumb.jpg

post-25689-0-38375300-1348615039.jpg

Ruu I was about to dig out the one I remade, based on your one. Looks like Barry got there first though, he doesn't sleep you know ;)

The head of this part is trapped between the PTO housing and the back of the trf box. This should prevent it drooping unless the counterbore is much deeper than the head thickness. Then there is a tang that stops it rotating so the open side faces upward. That should be sufficient.

I'll measure and draw mine up (when I get to work :o

oops, just read this properly. Barry you only have pictures to go on.

Yes, it is a piece of tube with a bung brazed in one end and the head on the other end.

The side of the tube is cut away to collect oil thrown up, rather than clear another gear I believe.

I was lucky enough to find a piece of stainless tube the right diameter to make mine from.

Dimensions would be brilliant Mickey if you could get them :) Especially as most people who have an oil catcher have it buried away in their transfer box!.

What is a drive centraliser? is that the cross shaped part linking PTO to pump?

BTW I do sleep ..... mostly while the mrs is talking at me ;)

Well I discovered I had already modelled the oil catcher, as well as the drive elements not shown in the picture above. Just throwing some drawings together.

For the moment here are some screen grabs of what we are talking about:

post-7124-0-94365300-1348735396_thumb.jpgpost-7124-0-71397200-1348735409_thumb.jpgpost-7124-0-93581700-1348735383_thumb.jpg

And Ruu, yes I'd love my impact set back please.