Which exhaust? - 200tdi conversion.

nickr

I'm fitting a discovery 200tdi in my early ninety. I'm using the Steve Parker down pipe which says it is suitable for either the turbo diesel exhaust or 200tdi exhaust - with a few mods at the front.

Question is which is my best option?

I've got a galvanised chassis so dont really want to have to weld on any new mounting brackets but will if necessary.

My currrent exhaust exits at the back of the vehicle through a hole in the mudflap mounting plate - personally I think this looks quite neat. I think the later ones exist just behind the rear wheel.

Looking at the parts diagrams the 200tdi seems quite different to earlier exhausts with the rear silencer being mounted in front of the rear cross member i think. What was the reason for this?

I suppose my preference will be to use a 200tdi exhaust but can anyone see any fitting problems?

Thanks

Nick

Take a look on paddocks website at the exhaust systems - the last version of the 300tdi defender exhaust (without cat) is a perfect system - follows the same route as the TD & N/A exhausts and doesn't have the transverse mounted silencer. it's got a nice fat bore as well so sounds great and seems to give a little more power.

halfords sell a usefull universal exhaust hanger which helps mount it in the centre.

Thanks for the replies.

In a dilemma now so many options!

Eightpot. If its a larger bore do you know if it will mate to the Steve Parker downpipe used for my conversion?

Early90. Are the brackets on the rear section? (pn ESR360, ESR95, ESR2421). What do they fix to and how? I'm assuming the chassis.

Thanks

Nick

Ref the Steve Parker downpipe - from memory these are slightly smaller diameter as per 200tdi exhaust, which I think is 2 3/4" .

The 300Tdi exhaust is about 3" diameter.

It's easy enough to join the front pipe to the centre box,I think I just got a 300TDi front pipe, cut the front bit off, made a couple of 2" slices so the end will compress and clamped it over the 200TDi pipe with a U bolt

Centre silencer will sit further back under the car, so some kind of universal exhaust hanger a la Halfrauds should help, or I made up a simple bracket which I bolted to the old chassis hanger point and extended it back a few inches.

The rear bracket should sit in the same place as a standard early 90.

You'll fiddle around a little with the hangers, but you shouldn't need to weld anything on.

Island 4x4 do good prices for the exhaust system with free delivery.

Thanks for the replies.

In a dilemma now so many options!

Eightpot. If its a larger bore do you know if it will mate to the Steve Parker downpipe used for my conversion?

Early90. Are the brackets on the rear section? (pn ESR360, ESR95, ESR2421). What do they fix to and how? I'm assuming the chassis.

Thanks

Nick

Yes, those are the ones. They simply bolt to the existing exhaust mount brackets and in the case of the rear silencer the offside chassis rail mount was already in place on my chassis,i just bolted the hanger to it. Would photos help you make your mind up? My chassis is a 1984 2 1/4 petrol.

Yes, those are the ones. They simply bolt to the existing exhaust mount brackets and in the case of the rear silencer the offside chassis rail mount was already in place on my chassis,i just bolted the hanger to it. Would photos help you make your mind up? My chassis is a 1984 2 1/4 petrol.

Yes if you could get a photo that would be good.

Thanks

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Still in a dilemma about which way to go with this.

Went to see about a custom exhaust being made up. Spoke to a local supplier. Spent about 5 mins discussing it - most of which was me telling him the background to what i was doing. In all this time his feet did not move from on top of his desk. He didnt bother to tell me anything about the product or options but just quoted me about £350 - £400. More expensive than I was expecting but it was the attitude that put me off.

Resigned to the fact that I might hava a little fabrication to do - especially if I dont by new brackets - some of which seem to be around £30.

Still would prefer to go 200tdi route but could do with a couple of photos of the rear silencer moutings to see if its going to give me much hassle. Also could do with knowing how much of a gap there is between the silencer and the body floor as Ive got rear wiring looms exposed around there. How hot does rear silencer tend to get?

Can anyone oblige?

Thanks

Nick