External cage, what snorkle can i use with this?

sammyb

Right after a lot of thought with how defender roof's aren't renown for there strength, so I've decided to invest in an external cage (when funds allow).

Now I'm after a bit of info on what snorkel people have used? I have a Safari on the the truck atm, will this fit with a cage??

this type of idea: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Landrover-rollcage-spot-light-bar-land-rover-/110368731952?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item19b27d3330&_uhb=1#ht_500wt_1054

So what have people used?

Sam

Well that "cage" won't help you with the "defender roof strength" issue, as it is really only a fancy light bar.

But with that style bars in front of the windscreen you can still fit a Safari snorkel with a bit of work and cutting a hole in your wing.

The Safari snorkel is designed to use the wing vents, but with a cage it moves the snorkel further forward.

So all you have to do is cut a hole in the right place further forward and leave the wing vent grill in place.

I did this successful with my Safari V8 snorkel.

I then changed it to a Southdown one as this came out of the wing top which is less likely to catch when rubbing on trees.

Id have to agree with zardos about that not protecting your roof. It says in the description that it protects the windscreen but you would really want and internal hoop joined to it which would also attach to the chassis and also you would want that front hoop to pass down to the chassis too and not just stop at the wings.

As above, I have one of the above units fitted to my truck as an original accessory, the official description is a windscreen protection hoop it does nothing for roll over protection. If you do decide to add one of these or another cage you can buy a Mantec raised air intake it has RC after the part number.

Jason.

What they said, that's not a cage, it's a fashion accessory.

I used a straight piece of 3" stainless exhaust pipe for my snorkel. The old one was a bit of 2.5" stainless with a bend in, but that wasn't ideal for pipe routing.

Snap, my current snorkelet is 3" stainless exhaust pipe, but the only piece I had only takes it half way up the screen (but if that goes under water in my buggy then the driver will also have breathing problems :hysterical: )

I also find that if makes a monster sucking sound (but is probably due size of pipe and proximity to the plenum on my 3.9 V8 and the K&N air filter)

I've checked my receipts and I have nothing for it, from memory I picked it up at billing from one of the roll cage manufacturers.

Devon do something similar for Southdown snorkels http://www.devon4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=53933&category_id=234&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=14

But the hole pattern is probably wrong.

Try asking Devon as they sell Safari snorkels

If not and you can wait until Oct then my slightly worn (been in a few scrapes but usable) will be available for a sale/suitable donation + P&P/collection

People Hi,

if you want to fit a rooftent on a rollcage you will have to invest in a PROPER rollcage which is mounted on the vehicle's chassis.

Safety Devices was the first one to make something like that for Land Rovers but now Land Rover themselves apparently prefer Protection and Performance (www.ppcages.com) (mind you I am their representative and distributor in Greece but then again I am not trying to sell you one since you are based in the UK and not in Greece.)

We have fitted a rooftent on a Defender 110 station wagon with a PPCAGES full external rollcage and it works like a dream for both recreational and expedition use. The good thing is that the rooftent is fitted on separate removable bars and it is extremely easy to remove it. The removable bars can also be used so as to make the full length of the Defender's roof a continuous flat area and therefore maximize the loading area. I can post some photos if you wish.

As for the raised air intake you have two options. The first one is to use an "old fashion" type of snorkel (with the round "mushroom" on top). Mantec was the first company to introduce raised air intakes for Land Rover vehicles and they offer two different versions of this type of "mushroom" topped raised air intake. A metallic and a plastic one. Both can be used together with a proper rollcage. The cheaper old fashioned ones from Britpart etc can also be used with a rollcage since they come with an accordeon type flexible hose which can accomodate the slightly more forward oriented positioning of the long tube which runs parallel to the windscreen frame.

(I am also representing and distributing MANTEC products in Greece. I am mentioning this also so that there are no misunderstandings. But once more I do not intend or wish to sell you anything. I am just trying to provide my input based on the experience I have gained by using those or similar products on Defenders here in Greece)

Alternatively you can use an adaptor which allows you to use a "later" type raised air intake, such as the newer versions of MANTEC ones, or the SAFARI SNORKEL or other types of more "aerodynamic" looking such products.

This adaptor allow the positioning of the main body of the plastic raised air intake more forward so that the top part can again run parallel to the A bar of the rollcage. You can have a look at it here: http://www.ppcages.com/?page_id=194 (around the middle of the page, on the left, look for the silver Defender with the SAFARI type raised air intake.)

If you drive a tuned TD5 a raised air intake may restrict its air needs. A standard TD5 is OK with a MANTEC raised air intake, especially with the "old type" ones that were designed with the 3.5 V8 and the 200/300Tdi engine "respiration" needs in mind.

Hope the above is of assistance.

Take care

Pantelis Giamarellos

LAND ROVER CLUB OF GREECE (founder & member)

www.lrcg.gr (co-moderator & administrator)

The P and P snorkel looks like this... (with a Safari snorkel top) It doesn't need any modifications to the bodywork, just take the original plastic cover off and fit the snorkel in it's place. The internal "box" for the air intake on the inside of the wing will need modifying to clear the chassis support for the roll cage but that's not really anything to do with the snorkel.

post-2025-0-36773500-1347827883_thumb.jpg

That's a P and P expedition cage (with some extras) which, among other things, has a roof tent on it during the summer.

post-2025-0-58630200-1347828327_thumb.jpg