V8 rocker arms

mikec

Hi starting to strip my engine down now and noticed one of the rocker pads has got two cracks on it as thought its about ready to break off.

Now the engines done 17000 miles since being recon by a well known engine place, I'm not sure the the rockers are new or not but the shafts definitely are.

So I'm wondering what my options are. Not sure if new pads are available? My other choices are fit genuine ones, but there too dear, fit aftermarket, not keen on that as there are a few threads on the net about being suspect quality. Opinions please?

Genuine or nothing IMHO, aftermarket, even steel, are cack.

Caused many a week of wondering the fuel consumption and smoking, then realising the rocker boxes were filling with oil so fast it was covering the valve stem seals....

Steels have probs too

And I am stunned you can get genuine at £50 !!, last time I enquired they were more than that !

Try :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Car-Parts-/14239/i.html?_nkw=rocker+shafts+v8&_dmpt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&rt=nc&LH_ItemCondition=3000

Find one local go and check for wear ?

Nige

Have a look here at Turner Engineering. They are steel type, but if Turners are happy to use them I would have no concerns..

There one of the steel ones I'd seen, that's what I thought if turners are selling them fingers crossed. The other place was here

http://www.leacyclassics.com/602153-4.html

Think I'm gonna buy one off each place just out of interest.

Steel ones are generally pants, noisy, leaky and actually only designed for very high revving applications.

Oh, and they are **** too :)

After mucking about with aftermarket ones, and changing shafts, I went back to the original ones (with some wear) and found them SOOOO much better.

Find a junker, drop the arms and shafts, disassembled in some caustic (short time rockers, ages on the shafts and springs) and they will be better than anything on the aftermarket.