Persistent temp gauge problem

sammyb

Right I'm still having problems with the temp gauge, it still sits at half way when cold (when you switch the ignition on) an when its warm the gauge sits just below the red line, I've tried a new coolant temp sensor which made no difference at all then I have tried a new temp gauge and put a new wire from the the sensor to the back of the gauge.

After speaking to someone today that the gauges run at 9v I popped a multi meter across the wire to sensor an came with a 10.8v reading, would be enough of an increase in voltage to make the temp readings in correct?

All off these have made no differences what so ever an is starting to tiddle me off with spending money and making no differences at all :(

Anyone had a similar problem or any ideas on how I can fix this??

Sam

Sammy, you have a Defender don't you? I think the gauges in some Series Land Rovers run on a regulated 10v supply but the gauges in Defenders run on 12v as far as I am aware. I could be wrong.

Which engine do you have? If it's the same as mine I'll take some readings at cold and warm so we can compare then we can start to narrow it down to which part in the system is causing you problems.

Yes matey its a 300tdi defender, I have tried another gauge again today an that was exactly the same, was speaking to someone else today an they said that the temp sensors from disco's an defenders are calibrated differently? Is it worth trying a genuine LR sensor?

Yeah the terminals are the right way round (i think) isn't one a male and one a female spade connector?

Also if the gauges run at 12v why am i only getting 10 at the sensor?

Any help is well appreciated as my head is power baffled by this now :/

sammy

I had the same problem when I changed the temp sender on mine - the old one broke in half.

I got the (correct?) green sender AMR 1425 but that gave exactly the same symptoms you have. I was driving around with the heater on full blast trying to get the temp down :blush:

Microcat lists 2 senders for 300Tdi's AMR1425 and AMR3321 but no explanation as to which should fit what. I then got AMR3321 which seems to have a very dark colour collar and the temp gauge immediately went back to what it was previously - sat in the middle after the engine warmed up.

I'm reluctant to say normal as I've just done the Td5 conversion and the temp gauge now reads much lower. This seems to correspond with the fact that the top hose doesn't get very hot when the engine is warm. Tdi's are reported to run cool so maybe the original sender was over-reading a bit but at least was well below the red.

Malcolm

I apologize for hijacking this thread but I have had a similar issue. My vehicle is fitted with a 300TDI and I had changed the gauge shortly after purchasing it. I replaced it with an aftermarket gauge and sender that reads in degrees. The needle sits at around 80-85 degrees in summer and climbs to about 95 when going uphill. I have become increasingly concerned with this fluctuation in temperature especially because my friends who own similar vehicles keep telling me that their factory fitted gauge sits bang in the middle. Last Saturday, a friend of mine told me that Land Rover temperature gauge needles are calibrated to sit exactly in the middle when the temperature is anywhere between 80 and 110 degrees. Can anyone confirm that this is true so that I may finally put my mind at rest? I've owned the blasted 90 for 9 years and have been constantly worried about overheating it.

Reiny

That's where the needle on my gauge sits. well mine normally reads 86.5 Deg C and like you say rises when going up hill, generally to 90 Deg C. The warning light on my gauge is set at 94Deg C

Yes that is true about the Land Rover gauge, that's why I say it reads in apples, LOL