Small portable generators -advice and recommendations

I am thinking I am going to need a small portable generator for LR and off road shows and camping at them etc

I know less than **** all about them looking to maybe run laptops screens camping small fridge maybe lights etc not welded etc !

Looked at machine Mart - they have sent me a vat free offer but am lost with what would be good !

For something decent how much to expect to pay new and any model : spec recommendations

Lastly would want it to run a long time when on some of them say running time 5 or 8 or x hrs ? How does this work them if its not flat out why does it have a time limit

Oh and quietish would be good too ?

Help !

Nige

Nigel,

We use Honda and Kipor suitcase generators for site power, they are relatively quiet around 60db IIRC if you are wanting to run a laptop you want to get one that has a clean output, (pure sinewave) as some of the cheap ones can be very disruptive if you want to run a laptop and other sensitive equipment.

Jason.

We have one of the baby 5kw Hyundai diesel generators from this place -

http://www.genpoweru...k/home.php?cat=

Only used about 50hrs or so but I have been pleased with it (used to power everything at our house out on the farm) and have been thinking about one of the portable petrol ones - probably the HY3100L - for power on the move (the diesel weighs 175kg!). They are Hyundai badged but made in China but considering that seem to be OK.

I would not go for less than about 1.5kw - Dad has a Honda 1.5kw and it's fine but you wouldn't want anything smaller as some things take a surge on starting which clobbers small generators. I wouldn't bother with that cheap one you mentioned unless you only want to run lights, and TBH I would not bother with a 2 stroke either. Generators with an AVR are usually OK on most equipment, that's all people on farms here use to run their houses and there isn't a large rubbish dump anywhere full of smouldering computers and tellys :lol: but the cheap non-AVR ones are best avoided for anything important.

Decent sized fuel tank is worth having (which the HY3100 has) as while you can fill up a petrol generator when it's running, it's not a very bright idea :ph34r: and a lot of the small generators only have 3-4L tanks which is likely to be a pain if you need to run for a few hours at a time.

Honda's are the best but you gets what you pays for ... or rather you pays for what you gets ;)

Okay gennys are best divided into 2 camps;

1. Newer inverter units ie Honda EU series, Kipor Sinemasters etc (think TD5 / Puma)

2. Older 3600rpm units. Honda EX and EM series, Kawasaki GA series, etc (think 200/300TDI's)

The inverter genny's are ideal for running sensitive equipment as the power and wave form is constant, the older 3600rpm units give a 'dirtier' power output that is prone to variances in frequency and voltage due to the mechanical governors controlling the engine speed/electrical output.

Laptops and electrical items that have a seperate power supply are generally fine to run from 'decent' older non inverter style genny's as the capacitors that take the hammer of the electrical fluctuations are in the power supply unit, the worst that happens is that they fail resulting in new power supply or a bit of inventive soldering to replace the capacitors.

I've run a laptop all summer from an older Honda EX650 with no problems but wont trust it with my Waeco fridge

The inverter genny's can be economical but only if run in 'eco' mode so for example if you run a 100w bulb from an EU20 - the engine would only be ticking over- nice and quiet and economical. If you needed a 1.6kw load then the engine is running flat out-noisey and uses more fuel.

Older non inverters run at a fixed 3600rpm to give 50hz@230 ish volts irrespective of load, fuel economy dosnt change too much loaded or not.

The first thing to decide is how what size you need baring in mind the maximum loading/vs rated loading of generators - Honda EU20 is 2kw max/1.6kw contant. Honda EM650 is 650w max, 550w constant @60hz.

Its also not good to run large generators with little load, or small gennys with a large loading.

Once thats decided you then have a few choices.

Honda EU10i - okay but aluminium cylinder bore with no liner so worn out after 5 years and fit for the bin. inverter output, lightweight

Honda Eu20i - brilliant but expensive, inverter output, dosnt like being left on 'eco' mode for too long as it glazes the bores - not that quiet due to the way sound levels are now measured on generators.

Honda EX650 - old but the quietest genny ever made, 650 max watts, 60hz mode for flicker free lighting, heavy, 5hours run time, keeps value well even when 20+ years old, none inverter output, heavy

Honda Em650 - pretty much same as above but louder, bigger fuel tank, long run times, heavy.

Honda Ex1000 - as above but 1kw max, heavy

Honda Ex800 - same as above but smaller output

Yamaha EF1000 metal cased (NOT the newer EF1000is which is same engine as Honda EU10i with same top end issue), ultra reliable but spares not as common as Honda, residual prices lower

Kawasaki GA1400 - 1kw output, AVR (voltage regulator) so smooth power output, ultra reliable, but quire rare, noisy, heavy

Kipor Sinemaster - very cheap compared to Honda, inverter outputs, questionable long term reliability compared to Japanese stuff - but worth a look

I have a Honda EM650 in my unit/lock up that I run most tools/lights from. £80 off Ebay. bulletproof. Also have a EX650 for camping due to sound levels - absolute brilliant piece of kit. Parts are still available and they can be easily repaired if needed.

Em650 that is running too fast (needs governor arm adjustment screw tweaking)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-EM650-Generator-Spares-or-repairs-/221142595425?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item337d203761

LPG'd EX650

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-EX650-generator-with-gas-conversion-kit-/110964834683?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item19d605017b

Kipor 1kw

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kipor-IG1000-Suitcase-Inverter-Generator-FREE-DELIVERY-FREE-LOCK-/270925422319?pt=UK_Campervan_Caravan_Accessories&hash=item3f1469deef

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IG2000-KIPOR-GENERATOR-/190726382201?pt=UK_BOI_Industrial_Tools_Generators_ET&hash=item2c682da279

For the sort of power you'd be drawing, I'd be inclined to use an inverter + battery(ies).

If you haven't got enough capacity, then a lawnmower engine + alternator will recharge in pretty quick time which means some noise for 10 mins every few hours. You could even 'squirt the lawnmower engine. :D

For a very good and cheap pure sign inverter think UPS (Uninterrupted Power Supply) and we got a 1Kw one for £16 from ebay as people sell then when the internal battery dies.

The 1Kw ones use 24v (perfect for the bus) but smaller sizes use 12v.

Replace the small internal battery(s) with external bigger versions.

Plus it has a built in charger.

Just remember to disconnect the internal buzzer (they have a warning buzzer to sound when running on batteries)

We using it to run laptops, and a household fridge (much cheaper than a camping fridge, plus more space for beer :i-m_so_happy: )

watch the cheap inverter series, the more expensive inverter units are fine. However the cheapies dont do true 50hz sinewave. This is only a problem if you want to use sensitive electronics i.e laptops anything which uses a high frequency switching powersupply (non-transformer wall brick).

Older units brush/less alternator can be prone to voltage swing under varying load, the newer avr type regulators are a safer bet. if you only need to run a laptop the a dc-dc converter may be the way forward, and run the fridge off gas.

In this case you could buy/fit an aux batt and a split charge unit.

A decent solar panel could be same price as a genny and the fuel is free, although does require the sun, which has been a rare sight in the uk this year.

The most useful output off the smaller generators is a 12v 5a for batt charging.