STARTER TURNING SLOWLY

Can someone help solve the problem of a very slow turnover on my 90 (disco 200tdi convert), battery and connections seem okay. I saw on a youtube presentation that the fact the starter is turning over means that the starter is not the problem, can anyone confirm this? Would love to not have to struggle getting this starter off, I have to work outside in the first signs of a Norwegian winter, so any tips on routine and further checks this are very welcome.

Cheers.

When the starter on my petrol engine started to pack up it got slower and slower over time - to the point that it wouldn't stay engaged when starting. Changing for a replacement turned the engine over about twice as quick!

Have you tried using jumpleads to bypass the bulk of the wiring, so it's directly connected to the battery? It should prove that there's no bad connections along the way.

Most common issue is problems on the earth side, try connecting a jump lead from the battery earth to the engine block, if this solves the problem then it is the earth somewhere, either battery to chassis or chassis to block. If not check out the positive side of the connections again.

It is possible for there to be carp or corrosion inside the solinoid on the starter particularly if the vehicle has been in deep water or mud at some time. If you remove the starter it is worth taking the solinoid of for a quick look for obvious problems before buying a new starter.

Had the same problem with my 110. I replaced the starter motor and things improved a little bit, but still not enough. So I then ran a new wire from the battery positive to the starter motor... WOW! That fixed it. It now starts on the button, even on cold mornings :)

I wish I'd done this first rather than cough out for a new starter!!

As said above, check your existing wiring especially the earth. 99% of the time this will be the problem rather than starter or battery.

If the tests with jump leads don't make a difference, get the battery drop tested.