What holds the bulkhead in position?

After fitting the new bulkhead and the doors I've found the doors don't shut. As you close the doors from the open position the bulkhead moves back. Now this was without the screen and frame. In fact the only thing that was bolted, were the two outrigger bolts and then the 4 footwell to chassis bolts. I've since fitted the screen but haven't tried readjusting the doors. I'm presuming the wings dont hold it any, so wondering where the problem might lie? Anyone any ideas please? Cheers mike

with the weight of the doors behind the bulkhead, you can expect nothing else than for it to move, the wings and screen will all help, in the same Way that the other four wheel nuts would if you only had one on and wondered why the wheel wobbled!!

I'm waiting for some new wing bolts to come so ill try that.

The thing that puzzles me is if you ran with the screen folded down the bulkhead would flex still, the only difference I have from that is not having the wings bolted up.

I'm gonna have another try tomos and see where I get, fingers crossed!

Shouldn't really need them, my bulkhead is absolutely solid at the moment, and held on by nothing more than the outrigger bolts, and the footwell to chassis brackets. Were the bolts a good fit through the brackets? and I hate to say it but are they all done up tightly?

matt

Nothing forces the bulkheads to all be made the same, this is Land Rover we're talking about. The footwell brackets have spacers, adding/removing these alters the angle the bulkhead sits at and will allow you to make it parallel with the tub, which will make the door fit properly.

(It's odd how everyone's issues seem to be similar, I've just posted similar things in 3 threads! :P )

But, as posted, the door shouldn't make the bulkhead move if everything is fastened, unless you're building an armoured Defender?

The doors are a really odd problem in armored Defenders. This photo is from a Level 4 (good for 7.62 blasts) Defender (used to be the farm car from a drug lord near my city). You can see how bad aligned are the doors. It's reinforced by the footwells, have torsion bars from bulkhead to the chasis and front wings, the company and the owner made all they could to have they in position with no results. All these tricks works in Defenders until Level 3 Plus (a lot of Colombian Defenders are armored vehicles due to our internal war and drug war), but when going for Level 4, they are not good cars. This have an special reinforcement for Minas Quiebrapatas (breaking-legs mines), powerful homemade devices used by Guerilla, and is like an integral footwell, with no results for car torsional strenght.

dsc01267.jpg

Well I had another bash at it today, this time I ratchet strapped the bulkhead to pull it forward to the front of the car, then did the wing bolts up. It seems to be a lot better now, so maybe the wing holds it quite a bit.

Footwell isn't in yet as I've got the engine to go in yet.