Snapped Swivel Bolt Needs Removing

Putting my front axle together today and I managed to snap one of the bolts whilst putting it back on :( I took it all off and its sheared just inside the axle casing.

I have tried drilling holes, extractor kit, tap with a chisel, getting a mole grips on the thread on the otherside and just come in from trying to weld an M6 bolt in there but there isn't enough room to get a good bead (with an ARC welder).

Anyone got any other ideas? Its getting beyond the scope of my capabilities now so if there are any industrious folk in Bristol who want to help I would appreciate it! Im guessing a MIG might get a better bead in there to help it hold but there is little metal left on the end of the bolt itself.

The other option is to burn through drill bits and butcher it out and fit a helicoil of some sort but I don't know much about these.

G

I have had this problem in the past.

Without seeing what your left with, it's hard to say because you can use a number of different tools.

The one thing I always use is lots of heat before using any type of extractor.

I'm reading a lot about that elsewhere on google. Will need to get some fresh gas for the gun. I wish I could get a grip on the threads poking out of the rear as I could turn these but I just cant get any purchase and a tap with a chisel wont move it. Will go out and take a pic now.

As you were putting the bolt in theoretically it shouldn't be that stuck....

Have you tried tapping a torx bit into the hole you have drilled?

Or you could try shoving a bit of steel in the hole so it is flush with the snapped off bolt and then try welding a washer to the end of the bolt with the arc welder, the washer will protect the face of the axle tube and if you find a big thick washer you can weld a nut to that afterwards to help remove the broken bolt.

Not tried this myself warning :excl:

May be your can weld a new bolt head to the old bolt, not mig weld but sort of arc weld.

i.e just melt the new and old bolt together.

Not that you have a hole drilled in it you might be able to get an M8 welded inside the whole.

If you don't have a weld then you might be able to do it with Car batteries.

That looks like its passed using any type of extractor and you will find it hard to weld anything on then remove it because the bolt and threads are very mashed up.

I would get an old ball swivel and cut off the flange, put 3-4 bolts into place to make sure it's all lined up, then use it as a guide to drill out the mashed bolt, then put a helicoil in.

You can get kits on eBay for around £10 that come with everything you need.

As you were putting the bolt in theoretically it shouldn't be that stuck....

Have you tried tapping a torx bit into the hole you have drilled?

Or you could try shoving a bit of steel in the hole so it is flush with the snapped off bolt and then try welding a washer to the end of the bolt with the arc welder, the washer will protect the face of the axle tube and if you find a big thick washer you can weld a nut to that afterwards to help remove the broken bolt.

Not thought of a torx bit, does it work like an extractor?

As the bolt is inside the casing the worry of puddle welding through the washer is that I may end up just welding the stuck bolt to the casing! I might go out for a fettle in a bit and see If I can get it. The problem is due to its awkward nature (and my poor welding skills) its hard to get a good clean solid weld onto it where it is with an ARC.

That looks like its passed using any type of extractor and you will find it hard to weld anything on then remove it because the bolt and threads are very mashed up.

I would get an old ball swivel and cut off the flange, put 3-4 bolts into place to make sure it's all lined up, then use it as a guide to drill out the mashed bolt, then put a helicoil in.

You can get kits on eBay for around £10 that come with everything you need.

I like this, this sounds good. Udderly may be around this week to take a look so if we dont get any joy then this is what I will do, thanks :)

G

Not thought of a torx bit, does it work like an extractor?

Find a torx bit that doesn't quite fit in the hole you have drilled then hammer it in, you may then be able to undo the bolt using the jammed in torx bit. It works like an extractor but is better in some ways, worth a try anyway.

You're 18 months too late!! I had two kicking round for 6 months and then binned them.

Bummer :( Hopefully one will turn up as that is quickly becoming the preferred option.

Tried the 'Torx trick' but it wouldn't go. Jammed it in hard but it still wouldn't rotate. Those Torx bits are TOUGH! Surprised they didn't snap. Will remember that trick for future ref though ;) thanks.

G