LT85 to R380 - What is needed?

So I've searched for the answer to this and not seen anything on this, or other forums which answers with enough certainty for me to part with £500. So I turn to the fine people of LR4x4 for an answer where others have failed.

I would like to know the likely changes between fitting an R380 in place of an LT85 in a 1988 90 V8.

To limit the variations which made finding an answer elsewhere so hard:

Vehicle is fitted with an LT85 and is a factory V8 standard chassis. It has the correct tunnel and floor plates for an LT85. The gearbox and engine mounts cannot be moved - this is an absolute.

The R380 will be Ashcroft supplied, and so will have no bell housing, do I need to obtain one or will the current one work? Will the complete clutch kit I bought for the LT fit the R380?

I am going to have a wild guess that I will need a new tunnel and floor plates to fit, will this effect my bulkhead, or anything else?

Please note I don't do the 'it will fit if you file/bend/cut/glue together with hope and wishful thinking' approach, I am talking about a conversion to (better than) factory standard.

Information containing certainties and facts gratefully received!

Sam, I have a 1986 factory V8 90 that started off with a LT85. Nowadays it has a ZF auto attached to a LT230 transfer box.

I don't know how long the R380 is, but the auto is exactly the same length as the LT85. So in many respects it was a direct swap, needing no mounts moved.

Hopefully someone will be along shortly to advise of the length of the R380.

I can tell you that the tunnel will need changing, primarily because the transfer lever arrangement is different on non LT85 vehicles. It is a couple of inches further forward and the opening in the LT85 tunnel just won't fit.

What I used was a 300tdi tunnel. I also acquired the flange the joins the bulkhead and tunnel, as well as 300tdi floor plates, although I seem to recall they turned out to be the same as the V8 floor plates.

The rear of the tunnel is also much larger where it joins the seat box. Luckily there is an adapter kit for this, made by Landrover as part of their 200 Tdi to 300 Tdi conversion kit SBCK100

I found a supply of these at Keith Gott Landrovers in Alton. I have just looked on their site www.keithgott.co.uk but cannot see any advertised right now, maybe it's worth a phone call to them though.

So I've searched for the answer to this and not seen anything on this, or other forums which answers with enough certainty for me to part with £500. ......

The R380 will be Ashcroft supplied.......

Just in case you hadn't spotted it the R380 will cost you 500 + a core charge of 350 if you don't have an old R380 of the correct type to exchange. You probably had spotted that but wasn't clear from your post.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'll give ashcrofts a call but the more I look into it, the more I think it's not worth the hassle and expense.

I hadn't appreciated that Ashcrofts would need the same type of box back for the core charge, I had assumed any LR box would be exchangeable.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful. I'll give ashcrofts a call but the more I look into it, the more I think it's not worth the hassle and expense.

I hadn't appreciated that Ashcrofts would need the same type of box back for the core charge, I had assumed any LR box would be exchangeable.

How come your looking to change?

Like Mike says, why change?

The LT85 is a good strong box, ideally suited to V8 power. It is however a little agricultural on gear changes when compared to the R380.

It also has a tendency for the main shaft bearings to get a little noisy, but that certainly doesn't herald imminent failure.

Mine is quite noisy, incredibly notchey, and above all when in traffic just above idle it will kangaroo down the road like the clutch is being slammed on and off, I'm told this is down to mainshaft wear. Its not pleasant to drive, and it probably looks pretty stupid too.

The box is not beyond use, so unless it seems like good value to swap I'll keep it until it finally dies, but the box is coming off the vehicle anyway and it would be nice to have a smoother drive, which the R380 reportedly has. I don't intend on running as a challenge truck, and the V8 isn't kicking out stupid power so I think it will cope.

Mine is quite noisy, incredibly notchey, and above all when in traffic just above idle it will kangaroo down the road like the clutch is being slammed on and off, I'm told this is down to mainshaft wear. Its not pleasant to drive, and it probably looks pretty stupid too.

The box is not beyond use, so unless it seems like good value to swap I'll keep it until it finally dies, but the box is coming off the vehicle anyway and it would be nice to have a smoother drive, which the R380 reportedly has. I don't intend on running as a challenge truck, and the V8 isn't kicking out stupid power so I think it will cope.

Why not just get a recon lt85? I don't reckon you'll notice the difference between a recon lt85 and a recon r380, after all there only landys :)