300 tdi - ticking

What sort of mileage do you have on it Mike ?

Depending on the damage..You could fit a new crank.

It's surprising how strong a 300Tdi is.

133,000 miles.

I'm going to swap it out for a very low mileage replacement to get Daisy back on the road (my most pressing concern and the path of least resistance at the moment).

I'll then replace the seal on the knackered one and paint the casing orange, stick it on Ebay as a low mileage reconditioned engine (Joke).

You can't but laugh... The most annoying bit (until I have to pay for the fix) is that the bonnet pull broke when I was broken down on the A27, I had to open the bonnet using the old fashioned method and grated the back of my hand off. The copper that stopped baulked at my bloody hand, I was more concerned about not being hit by the artic behind him..!

The second most annoying bit is that I only replaced the water pump last week and P-gasket last week :(it was ticking before then, before anyone says anything...

When I've dissected the old lump I'll post some pictures for perusal and diagnosis!

I'll be interested to hear what the actual failure was caused by:

Could the "ticking" have been the crank-pulley coming loose on the nose of the crank and mashing-up the keyway? You wouldn't be the first to have had this happen.

One thing I can say is that it was definitely the ticking that turned into the banging. tick tick tick tick tick tick bang bang bang bang!

Oh, should I get the timing belt changed on the new engine before it goes in, it's only done 10k miles since the last one? It will mean I have to cancel Christmas and sell one of the kids.

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I'll be interested to hear what the actual failure was caused by:

Could the "ticking" have been the crank-pulley coming loose on the nose of the crank and mashing-up the keyway? You wouldn't be the first to have had this happen.

They say the school of hard knocks is expensive - isn't it just! First time I replaced the timing belt on the 300 tdi I didn't get the torque sufficiently tight (something distracted me...), which resulted in the woodruff key cutting a new keyway for itself in the pulley (radially...). No tick sounds at all - eventually however the engine wouldn't start.

When you change the belt fit a new style cam belt pulley if it does not have one, they have sides on them and stop the belt wondering off to the side on ripping out you crank shaft seal (you know how I know), Just found this thread and was interested to find out what your ticking was as I also have a ticking noise, it does not effect performance and it can not be heard from inside but it is quite loud when you are standing at the front of the Landy.

I have not attempted to find it as yet but will have to have a good look later today.

If I do find it I will update, I know it is not a loose filter as you had as I had already fitted better bobbins after my ones parted a while back.

Well my ticking turned out to be more of a squeak which you only hear on tick over. I have had a look and think - with the aid of a long screw driver and my ear that its the belt tensioner bearing starting to go, will need to see if you can get new bearings for this thing or if its a complete part.

Strange think is I went for a run after covering the pulley nut with some grease, not sure if its related but just got another strange noise - like an intermittent whirring (bit like a duff fan) but it was not the heater fan as I changed the speed on that and it never made any difference.

• 8 months later...
ticking was perhaps a bearing on its way south. Its eventually siezed and then its self destructed.

The ticking basically got louder and louder, it felt like the crack opened up...

To the 300 tdi credit, there wasn't a loss of power right up to the end, just a lot of noise. (And eventually oil).

It really didn't feel like anything too serious, I drove it onto the slip road on the A27.

Mind you, the oil pressure light never came on...