300 tdi - ticking

Either your lift pump or vacuum pump.

Could be a clogged fuel filter causing the lift pump to 'tick'. Any performance issues?

No real performance issues, still a fuel filter is worth a change... I'll have to have a look at the vacuum pump.

Almost certainly a failed valve cap. They wear a hole through them like a polo mint, causing the valve clearance to skyrocket. I would change all eight of them and reset the clearances. If there is no remains of the valve cap on the valve stem then have a good look around the rocker gear as once they are worn through they can jump off and sit in the bottom of the head. Also check the rocker faces for damage from directly contacting the valve - you can usually get away with it but I have had to change rockers before due to prolonged running with damaged valve caps.

I once serviced a 300tdi and found the remains of five valve caps worn through in the cylinder head and very badly damaged rocker gear, no idea how long it had been like that but it made a terrible racket.

Take the rocker cover off, turn the engine over by hand and feel the clearances. It will be obvious if one or more is damaged as the clearance will be way out on the rocker. Worth resetting all the valve clearances anyway (0.20mm in and ex)

Halfords won't do 300tdi valve caps!

RIght had a good look & listen today, nothing obvious. I'm suspicious of the valve caps so I'm going to order the bits I need and replace them at the weekend.

However, I was trying to listen to the air pump, when the air filter supports came off in my hands, so I've to cable tie it in place, I might have found my ticking... the rubber mounts are knackered...

Longer term fix, a bit of Sugru to replace the rubber mounts (my favorite fix stuff at the moment)...

Those rubber mounts could be the problem.

Now Land Rover sell tham. They are 6mm.

BUT

If you can get Mini, the [roper Mini, exhaust bobbles. They are cheaper but they have a 1/4" UNF or 5/16" UNF thread. The mounting holes will need drilling out. A cheaper and better part IMO.

Those rubber mounts could be the problem.

Now Land Rover sell tham. They are 6mm.

BUT

If you can get Mini, the [roper Mini, exhaust bobbles. They are cheaper but they have a 1/4" UNF or 5/16" UNF thread. The mounting holes will need drilling out. A cheaper and better part IMO.

A better choice would be Renault / Saab exhaust mounts as they are a direct replacement for the 300tdi mounts and far longer lasting. I get them £4.50 plus VAT for ten and change them as a matter of course on any 300tdi I work on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-exhaust-mounting-bobbin-6mm-Renault-Saab-/321010606962?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4abdb92372