Oil Pressure Light

Mark Adams

Driving home in the Disco I noticed that when I stopped at a roundabout, I saw the oil pressure light came on, flickered at first, I quickly turned off the engine and then started it. The light went off and did not came back on until I parked up at home, when it started flickering again.

Do you think this is just faulty wiring/sensor or a genuine oil pressure problem? Seems strange that it goes off when the engine is turned off and on again.

low oil level can be the cause --- a good indicator of this is did the flicker occur during a sharpish turn? Even so I agree with Idris, fit a guage, mine runs on 7psi at hot idle and 27psi with 10 psi boost at 2000 rpm = 100kph cruising speed.

I have just got it mot'd after sitting for a long time so the oil has been in the car for about a year but only done about 1000 miles in that time. I am going to change it with 15/40 mineral oil as it will need a change, I will change the oil pressure switch at the same time.

Do you recommend a particular brand of Oil pressure tester? I do not want to buy one that does not have the correct adaptor.

Mark.

• 1 month later...