A little CB aerial question

I have recently fitted an ARB bullbar to my truck in, I am thinking of relocating my CB aerial from the roof to the mounting point on the bullbar. There are a few reasons behind this thinking:

1. I have damaged a couple of mounts in the past on low branches etc.

2. I get fed up of the current whip aerial clunking on things and making it sound like I am about to loose the roof.

3. The bumper will act as a nice big ground plane.

4. I can

However I currently have a whip type aerial and wondered if it is best suited to being pushed along at 85mph or will it just flex over onto the bonnet? I have seen some other types of more solid aerial I often see them on trucks and SUV's in the US would these be better stuck out front or would it be prone to breaking?

Jason.

I have two on my ARB bull bar

The UHF ( don't do cb's here in Aus ) and the Mobile phone areil

3BA2416E-7EC5-4E5D-BD77-20AA4057B243-1983-000001BBBE838412.jpg

That is pretty much where everyone in Aus has them. On their bull bars.

Although I sent my brother over a set of Aus style ones as you don't have the same style in the uk.

I have two on my ARB bull bar

The UHF ( don't do cb's here in Aus ) and the Mobile phone areil

3BA2416E-7EC5-4E5D-BD77-20AA4057B243-1983-000001BBBE838412.jpg

That is pretty much where everyone in Aus has them. On their bull bars.

Although I sent my brother over a set of Aus style ones as you don't have the same style in the uk.

Does the small boy not block your line of vision? Do you have to bolt his feet to the bonnet? :hysterical:

I know that they can fit on the bull bar hence the top brackets my question was more about what type of aerial would be best suited the stinger type that I currently have or a more solid one?

Is your flexible or a solid pole?

Jason.

or just the wind speed.

wont it pick up more interference lower down?

I don't think it will pick up any more interference than on the roof although the cable has to go through the engine bay so I will make sure it's not routed near anything electrical.

Jason.

If it flaps about a bit, you could always do like the old truckers used to - put cord round the top and lightly tension it against something like the roof rack, won't flap about then :)

Thanks Jon, that may look good on your Land Cruiser but it's not the look I am going for on my truck..

It will affect your range ever so slightly by moving it lower. The DV 27 type wipe is old technology now - although it works very well there are the more compact tuned variety available now - possibly what you've seen in the us.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I had a look around but couldn't find what I wanted so thought I would go for some professional advice, therefore I put a call into Thunderpole, the chap was very helpful and talked me through the choices and didn't try to sell me the most expensive or biggest aerial.

He did tell me that clearly the roof was the best place for the aerial but explained that unless I was wanting massive attenuation then it should't be an issue, I explained that I just use the CB for inter truck communications and I don't need a ten mile coverage.

So in the end the guy talked me into this one It has a bit of spring in it so won't break if I catch it on something but not so much that it will be hopping around like Zebedee. There is a tuning screw under the top rubber cap, I have never bothered tuning the setup before but guess it's time to start so I also got an SWR meter and a new patch lead so am ready to go.

So hopefully he was giving me good advice or I have just splashed some of my birthday money on a load of junk...

Thanks for you advice.

Jason.

Well after placing an order with Thunderpole, the order arrived in less than 24 hours, great service I have to run the cable yet but fitted the aerial I went for a drive over to Neil's today on a various types of roads and it did not distract or jump around so looks like just the job.

Jason.

wp000466g.jpg