Help With Hoses

need4speed

I know this shouldnt necessarily be in this section but it seemed appropriate. Mods feel free to move it if you want to...

Im needing someone who has 'squirted a defender to tell me what all the radiator and heater hoses are that they used. I have looked all over net to find out what ones i need but there are sooooo many different types available im at a loss really. I noticed that one of the bottom rad hoses had 4 connections. What are they all!?

I have some standard carb'd-engine heater hoses but obviously they are totally wrong as the inlet manifold is completely different to the efi one.

If it makes any difference at all, i have a standard v8 rad and no air-con.

Any help would be really appreciated as it will save me spending loads of money on incorrect hoses.

My guess is the differences between a carb hose setup and an efi setup.

This probably comes down to where the heater matrix hose take off is on the engine and the routing to the heater matrix and the plenum preheater hoses.

As both of these are small bore pipes you just need to buy some length of the correct size and route them as appropriately, you don't need to use pre shaped pipes for these.

Nige - Your anything but thick! Its me thats a bit thick. But then its not like i started with a complete efi v8 to strip down, im starting from scratch. I'll try and explain better. Basically im plumbing in all water hoses ie radiator and heater. However checking through the various online parts diagrams its apparent that the carb v8 hoses are different from the efi v8 hoses. Now as you know im in the (slow) process of squirting my v8 so i have the efi inlet manifold, however when you look at the parts diagrams for the efi radiator setup there is some weird looking hoses which im sure i dont need as i have a basic v8 radiator. The carb v8 setup shows upper rad hose going to inlet manifold and lower rad hose going to waterpump. Apart from that im at a loss exactly what hoses i need.

Zardos - I guess your right, i dont necessarily need the preshaped hoses. I was just trying to keep everything neat. Probably being overly fussy.

AH

OK

I can give you some info, which will help in showing you the need to clarify more

OK

On EFI there are a choice of inlet manifolds - each of these can have differing pipe configs

For Example (and these are just the ones that spring to mind for example not definative - there asre more)

3.5 Inlets have a tube running underneath the inlet,this is for the heater, and then there is another sometimes on the rear - this is the other, and then one at the front (and can be different angles).

On some 3.9 Inlets the pipes are not underneath but on the top of the drivers rocker box, and nothing underneath

On Later 3.9 there is a pipe comes out of the side of the Inlet that is not on anything else

On 3.5 3.9 and others there are differing Thermostat housings which pop off at differing angles dependant on what the engine is in....

As such there is a HUGE range of hoses, oh and heater box outlets can be straigh 90 degrees and either 16mm or 19mm !

The way to sort you mess out is to identify the various conponemt bits, I will then have as will others some info

So

Engine is from a ? and opics ?

etrc etc

Nige

Only BL and Lucasrse can take a 1 1x cast of American Samll block and mess it up with more timing covers hoses pipes and guff that you would think possible :D

Cheers Nige. Bloody hell! No wonder im at a loss re what hoses i need. I had no idea there were so many different inlet manifolds! Heres me thinking it was just either a carb or efi type lol..

I will try and post some pics up in next day or two as my phone fell out my pocket into a bucket of kerosene.......... Yes im having one of those days....

If it helps, I blocked the heater takeoff pipe by the stat, the thread is 1/2" BSP, so plenty easy to get various hose adapters that will screw in there. The one underneath I turned down a bolt and stuck it in with RTV, clamping it with an offcut of hose. I teed the little bypass hose into the line from the top of the rad and into the header tank as this helps bleed airlocks off.

post-4644-0-64516700-1355314989_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-84324500-1355315018_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-87366700-1355315036_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-16949200-1355315063_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-87371700-1355315095_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-45525200-1355315121_thumb.jpg

OK you have a late serpentine Inlet top end.

Pipes on trumpet = 1 x Vacumn hose the other could be used for MAP take off or blacked off

Thermostat is fine, use an EFI Top hose, use a EFI Bottom hose and cut and add in a hose from the Take off 10 O Clock on front of inlet Manifold

Rad look like efi RR 3.9 V belt type

post-4644-0-93943900-1355315216_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-86179700-1355315237_thumb.jpgpost-4644-0-24199500-1355315263_thumb.jpg

PIC-TASTIC!!! Sorry for the huuuge pics. I resized them but the changes didnt seem to stick...

Blank off any extar air ins to the Trumpet

Heater looks like a cross over type, copper tubes = early, but a early 90 ususally has 16mm 90 degree, think those might be 19mm

and are striaght, I would couple these up using hoses / silicon hose / what you can get to fit

1 x Hose needs to go to the (PIC 3 last block of pics) front of the inlet, there is abolt head under the therm outlet on the RHS - this will unscrew and then screw in the LR part that gives you a Male outlet

then conect this to 1 x heater

The other heater pipe needs to go to the bottom hose

One way is to use the 2 x pipes that go over the V belt type Rocker cover Drivers sid, Plus a 4.0 tube drops down after adding a 90 degree hose and pops out below the waterpump, then make joiner to bottom hose

See the V8 Poen thrad this is almost as I had to do, lots of pics !

Hope this clears the mist a bit

Nige

Righty Ho

Pic 3

Pipe on LHS at 10 o clock position needs to be connected to bottom rad Hose RHS goes to 1 x twin small pipes top of rad

its missing threm output this should be pointing at 2 o clock ish

But doesnt bottom rad hose need to go to waterpump? Does it matter which one of the twin small rad pipes i connect to?

OK. Let me see if ive got this right. Forgive me being f f fick…

Heater Matrix:1 hose goes to the front of the manifold (once ive got rid of blanking bolt and inserted correct male outlet) but does it matter which hose? Other hose goes to the bottom rad hose but how do I join into the bottom rad hose?

Radiator: Top hose is standard RR efi type. Goes to inlet manifold therm housing.

Bottom hose is also efi type. Goes to waterpump but also needs to join onto 1 heater matrix hose and pipe on lhs of inlet manifold??

2 small-bore pipes. 1 goes to pipe on rhs of inlet manifold. Other small-bore pipe goes to???? Also does it matter what small-bore pipe on rad goes where?

Trumpet Base: Ive got 1 pipe on one side and 2 on the other side. 1 to be used as vacuum hose (does it matter which one?). 1 for MAP. Other blanked off?

Have I missed anything else?

I'll be honest. Theres still some stuff im not sure about uncle nige...

I forgot to mention that there is also 2 male outlets on the rear of waterpump. 1 seems blocked but 1 looks like it had a hose connected..

That one is the return from the heater - the supply to the heater being from the larger pipe above the thermostat.

Your setup will be the same as mine (will be).

- forget the throttle heating stuff, leave those off.

-Will have a "normal" stat housing going to top of rad with standard top hose.

- bottom of rad to water pump with standard bottom hose.

-heater outlet you have highlighted in red box goes to heater.

- heater return goes to one of the ports on back of pump.

-barbed connection on passenger side goes to one of tiny pipes at top of rad.

-other tiny rad connection to expansion tank.

-manifold bypass goes to other port on back of pump.

That should be it- is covered in my v8forum thread (same diagram as Fridge has put up)