False odometer reading

cress

Hi all, I just had to post this,

I had the disco 2 MOT'd in November, the odometer reading was 50590.

Travelling home from work the other day I glanced down at the speedo and odometer, this now read 83380.

Absolutely no way, I'v probably done 2.5 thousand at most since the MOT not 32+ K. Has anyone heard of this problem and how do I stand legally?

Incidentally, I have had the 3 amigos on for a while, changed the switches on the modulator and have not done anything since. Still on.

Regards

Ivan

Odometer readings are not a part of the MoT, nor is the presence of one (working or non-working) any kind of legal requirement.

Truth is, a working speedometer is not a MoT requirement!

One of my vehicles has not had a functional odometer for over a decade. My local MOT-tester is used to me saying "Oh, don't bother with that".

Multiply the mileage by 1.6 and you will have an approximate km reading. The numbers are close enough to support the idea that your odometer has switched to km.

As for the three amigos, I had the same problem on my RRC, which I think has a similar system. I did have a fault with one wheel sensor, but this only brings on the ABS light, not ETC or general brake warning light. I found that switching the ignition off and restarting cleared the light after a few seconds. This meant that though the pump was pressurising the accumulator, it wasn't doing so fast enough to meet the self-diagnostic 45 second time limit (the pump has to pressurise the accumulator within a set time to ensure that the pump is fast enough to recharge the accumulator with frequent braking or rapid and frequent ABS or ETC activation because each time the ABS or ETC cut in, they will take pressure from the accumulator. My pump was simply too tired to meet the time schedule, and replacing it cured the fault. Other common parts would include relays and fuses. I don't know if a faulty reservoir float sensor would cause all three lights to illuminate - it should certainly illuminate the general "!" light, but perhaps not the ABS and ETC. Worth checking, though.

Hi all, many thanks for the replies.

I realise the MOT requirements regarding the speedo, I was just using the date of mot as a reference. As for the odometer converting to Kilometers I had never even thought of that one.

Regarding the 3 amigos, this is a work in progress. I have had it checked on testbook and its fault readout say's shuttle valve. Hence why I replaced the switches (hoping for an easy fix) I will look into that as and when.

I knew I could rely on you guys, I will keep you posted.

Many thanks

Ivan

The shuttle valve would do it - if the valve has moved because of a pressure imbalance in the circuits (bleeding can do this, sometimes, or working callipers or hoses), then the ECUs will read a fault and bring up the lights. The shuttle might also be restricting fluid movement to the side that had low pressure.

The shuttle valve would do it - if the valve has moved because of a pressure imbalance in the circuits (bleeding can do this, sometimes, or working callipers or hoses), then the ECUs will read a fault and bring up the lights. The shuttle might also be restricting fluid movement to the side that had low pressure.

Not the same - the shuttle valves in this case are in the ABS modulator block,they are open with the brakes released then close one at a time as the pedal is pushed.

Shuttle valve faults are rarely caused by the valves or their switches themselves,in most cases it is a dry joint or broken connector within the block itself.This can be permanently repaired by connecting the two wires from the switches, taking them out of the bottom of the unit and splicing into the loom direct.Defenders with ABS also do this and can be fixed in the same way.

There are details of this repair on a US site for civilian Hummers which use the same WABCO system,Google should find it...

RAVE:

A push button located next to the LCD is utilised to reset the trip meter to zero and to change the units from miles to

kilometres. Pressing the button for less than 2 seconds allows the display to reset to zero. Pressing the button for

more than 2 seconds changes the units from miles to kilometres and vice versa. The units will only change for UK,

NAS and Canadian market vehicles.

RAVE:

A push button located next to the LCD is utilised to reset the trip meter to zero and to change the units from miles to

kilometres. Pressing the button for less than 2 seconds allows the display to reset to zero. Pressing the button for

more than 2 seconds changes the units from miles to kilometres and vice versa. The units will only change for UK,

NAS and Canadian market vehicles.

Your are a "spoil sport" Count...LoL