Cold Weather - 300TDi Oil Filter Comes Loose

RichardAllen

In the cold weather in Jan 2011 I noticed an oil leak which was worse than usual and tracked it down to the oil filter which had come quite loose and was dripping a drop of oil every 5 yards or so - not far off coming off completely, with the predictable unwelcome consequences.

I have since kept an eye open for this problem, and it has not recurred, but we had little cold weather last winter.

This evening my better half mentioned a patch of black snow where the Landy had been, and sure enough the oil filter had loosened about 10th turn.

I have always used LR or good aftermarket filters, smeared the rubber washer with oil before fitting and done them up by hand as tight as I could from underneath (getting a strap wrench in on a Def 90 300TDI is a pain). And two filters a year in normal weather - no problem.

However, very cold UK weather (down to -10degC) and then a warm engine does seem to cause them to come loose.

On the race cars, we lockwire oil filters on because of the vibration, but that is not so easy on a 300TDi.

Has anyone seen this before or is it just me ? If so is there a simple solution this side of lockwire, or crawling underneath in the snow and checking ?

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.

Regards

Richard

On my old 300Tdi one of the oil cooler pipes worked its way loose, I kept thinking it was the filter until I noticed the pipe was only 2 turns from blowing off. It was quite lucky I found it as when I got home after driving for about a mile I had to top it up with nearly 4L of oil :( and it was at max on the dipstick when I set off. Keep an eye out on the pipes too.

First thing. Land Rover no longer make oil filters. They buy from similar people as you but have their name put on them

Yes I too have had filters loosen off. Not much but enough to wonder on the last filter change " did I tighten that filter fully "

As for the position of the oil filter. Every time I do a filter change I think " I must sort out a remote filter head" One day, oine day. If you do sort a remote filter head out. Lock wiring it would be easier.

On my old 300Tdi one of the oil cooler pipes worked its way loose, I kept thinking it was the filter until I noticed the pipe was only 2 turns from blowing off. It was quite lucky I found it as when I got home after driving for about a mile I had to top it up with nearly 4L of oil :( and it was at max on the dipstick when I set off. Keep an eye out on the pipes too.

I had the top oil cooler hose come loose, makes quite a mess of that side of the engine. I must have been lucky as I noticed it when I parked up, there was a drip of oil on the front bumper that I noticed as it was raining. Opened the bonnet to see oil everywhere.

Of course when I tightened the pipe up after that I went a bit silly on it and it kept dripping after that as I damaged the O-ring... grrr. So now I have replaced the O-ring, degreased the threads and loctited it.

First thing. Land Rover no longer make oil filters. They buy from similar people as you but have their name put on them

Yes I too have had filters loosen off. Not much but enough to wonder on the last filter change " did I tighten that filter fully "

As for the position of the oil filter. Every time I do a filter change I think " I must sort out a remote filter head" One day, oine day. If you do sort a remote filter head out. Lock wiring it would be easier.

Thanks Mike

I looked at a remote filter head from Demon Tweaks etc with no clear solution and vaguely recall you mentioning it on a thread some years ago that you had looked into it but not found a satisfactory solution, but without specifics. I suspected the problem might be a good remote position while still preventing airlocks. (Often easier on a race car with a dry sump system). Like you it has always been tomorrow's job with the associated risk of severe engine damage if you get it wrong.

Back to the loosening, we do filters often enough that we should be able to trust ourselves to put them on tight. After all there would never be a reason to lkeave one loose, and this cold weather thing does seem more bthan a coincidence. And no more black snow in the drive - though plenty more white - yippee.

Regards

Richard

Richard

It wasn't as much the engine bay space but I did want to have the bits in my hand before I did the job. I looked on the Merlin site...

I think there's room behing the FIP..Or in front of the timing case if like me you run a Kenlowe...One day I promise....

Now could we change the subject please.. What race cars ?? Very interesting to me.

I have just (yesterday) checked my 2 300tdis. One was a bit loose, a few drips showing and I got a quarter turn on it, and needed about a litre to top up. Both genuine filters, and I have been changing oil for longer than I like to think and never had one come loose before. Thanks for mentioning this, as otherwise it would never have crossed my mind.to check

• 7 years later...

my crown vic just had the same problem we saw minus 30 here in talkeetna alaska and i think this loosened the filter.

This motor had used only a half s quart in two years, then i noticed after or during cold nights black snow.

i saw a pool of oil under the drivers side where the filter is.  Saw a post similar to this one and checked my filter and it wad loose. 

hand tighten it and waiting to see now praying this is it.