Total confusion and conflicting views on tyre sizes

Be a bit careful when looking at wheel offsets. I'm in the process of buying new wheels at the moment and have found that there are some retailers that don't seem to know how offset is measured, I was told buy one that their modulars have zero offset and are the same as the standard land rover wheels, he seemed very confused when I told him that most standard Defender wheels have a +33 offset. I found that some retailers quote the offset in comparison to the standard wheels, e.g. if they say the offset is -25, they actually mean that the wheels have 25mm less offset than the standard wheels which would make them +8.

Dave

Why not go for 255.85x16? Not as wide as 285, but the 'same' diameter.

Admittadly the choice of available tyres is very limited.

Bloody brilliant tyre size IMO, and a touch taller than a 265/75. (admittedly bugger all in it, but they are taller :D)

BFG MT, Maxxis 762, Cooper ST, Dunlop MT and a few others are available in this size.

I have a set of 5 255-85-R16 BFG's on silver modulars that have less than 1000 miles usage available. No scuffs or cuts. PM me if you want more details.

Nigel

where are you based i have a set of 285s on wheels you can try on your moter

if you like i also have spacers for them

so yiu could try all

regards mike

Hello, Ive PM'd you both, cheers!

dont forget about your offset too. its not just the size of tyre which is important.

for example....

i had some challenger 16x7 wheels from 4x4tyres with 265/75/16 Cooper STT. Not only did they stick out past the arches by 25mm they also rubbed. I really couldnt get on with them so had the company refit the same tyres onto some 16x7 modulars - so exactly the same size wheels but these had zero offset; whereas the previous ones had -35 offset. These wheel/tyres sit nicely under the arches and dont rub.

This is on a def90 with standard height / standard weight springs... no lift, and some heavy bits of steel attached!

They really dont rub!

and looks the part IMHO.

Cheers Mike, I was originally gonna get the 265 75 16s, it wasnt untill I saw a picture of Boris113's landy with 285 75 16s that I started wanting that size.

The 1st picture you posted; Is that rim the -35 off set or zero off set? I was/am/may be planning on getting -35 off sets with what ever tyre I get, so more to think about now! But in the same breath Im quite happy to either cut or replace my arches. Cheers for that.

Cheers Mike, I was originally gonna get the 265 75 16s, it wasnt untill I saw a picture of Boris113's landy with 285 75 16s that I started wanting that size.

The 1st picture you posted; Is that rim the -35 off set or zero off set? I was/am/may be planning on getting -35 off sets with what ever tyre I get, so more to think about now! But in the same breath Im quite happy to either cut or replace my arches. Cheers for that.

Those are zero offset 7x16 black modulars from 4x4tyres.

I had these http://www.4x4tyres.co.uk/defender-15inch-to-18inch/16inch-7inch-challenger-black-defender-steel-wheel-p-1571.html on previously which are -35 offset.

They stuck out beyond my arches by 1 inch. it looked daft tbh, and the handling suffered. You will definately need extended arches as it would be illegal otherwise. Theres just no need for negative offset on a 7" rim, honestly dont do it! You only need large negative offset if you want 8-10" rims. no need for 7"; and you can fit 285's to 7 or 8".

Hi.

Im hopefully going to be getting some new rims and tyres for my 90 very soon (been saying it for 4 months now!!!).

I have been having a look through this and other landy forums as to what tyre size fits a stock 90, and Im getting conflicting views. I know that 265 75 16 will fit, but I have also read alot of threads where people are saying they have fitted 285 75 16 to stock suspension and that they are fine. I will be ordering a set of -35 off set modulars with the tyres.

So, do any of you have or know of anyone with 285 75 16s on a stock landy (remember my rims will be offset), any pictures would be great :D

And hey, I know tyre threads have been done to death, so I apologise in advance!

Thanks a lot

I have done this & they do rub badly on the road & have ripped off 2 brows285/75/16 with 30mm spacers they dont tuch the chassis or body just catch bably on the wheel arch brows hope this helps