build a 90?

T1G UP

i,ve been after a 90 csw for the wife as she has taken up managing a riding school again after having the kids.

i've looked at a few but there still strong money or shagged and rusty. could i build one or get 1 built for around 6k?

Parts are cheap and i believe thats it's do-able. got loads of spares like a brand new 300 tdi bulkhead etc already. Whats the down falls and have you done this already?

spec would be 200/300 poss auto. CSW with two front facing rear seats like the new 90. nice shiny new paint! NO bling!! not botherd about extreme suspension etc as it'll be a tow car and kiddy wagon.

i,ve been after a 90 csw for the wife as she has taken up managing a riding school again after having the kids.

i've looked at a few but there still strong money or shagged and rusty. could i build one or get 1 built for around 6k?

Parts are cheap and i believe thats it's do-able. got loads of spares like a brand new 300 tdi bulkhead etc already. Whats the down falls and have you done this already?

spec would be 200/300 poss auto. CSW with two front facing rear seats like the new 90. nice shiny new paint! NO bling!! not botherd about extreme suspension etc as it'll be a tow car and kiddy wagon.

If you build a "Bitsa" then SVA and Q plate.

Rebuild / upgrade an existing 90 is a better bet

Nige

If you build a "Bitsa" then SVA and Q plate.

Rebuild / upgrade an existing 90 is a better bet

Nige

u can pick up early 200tdi hardtops for 2k ish

with remaining 4k u could bring it right up to scratch easily even if it needed chassis as long as u do the mechanical stuff yourself

i rebuilt my first 3 year ago, almost finished building one now from scratch, amount of hassle ive had with the mssing bits you need to go out and buy new because nobady has them its far easier to rebuild one, i wont build another from scratch anyway despite the sense of achievemnt ill be getting soon!

Listen to Michael Calvert^^^^^^

Never done a landrover, but done Minis from bare shells and MG from new bare shell also. Pain in the butt! You don't realise how many fiddly little bits that you need until all them are not there!

Would definately buy a £2k car then bring it right up to scratch with the other £4k. If your carefull with it you'll keep the reg plate easily, saving you grief. It also means you can be picky about what you buy. For example, you may change to a galv chassis..... so you won't be worried about buying a tidy ish road vehicle with a shot chassis will you? etc....

good luck

Jas

like this one:

Land Rover Defender 90 TD5 H/top. 1999T. Durham

1 owner FSH. 72k miles. RWW. Excellent condition throughout. £7750. No Vat. (All you need is a pair of side windows,some rear seats and you've got yourself a cheap Station Wagon!)

Terry 07703-349369 4x4play@ic24.net

12 Sep Trade

bit more than 6k but it's a TD5 1999 motor

i'd probably go with what white90 said... buy the best 90 hardtop you can afford and fit your own side windows...

alternatively, buy one with a rotten chassis and rebuild using a new galvanised chassis... you'll do it for 6k if you are carefull.. only problem is if its got a rotten chassis, it might have loads of other rotten bits aswell....

Thanks for the link MARK90, i'm on it.

My dearest wife likes shiney things like a magpie! this would be our family car as i won't let the kids in my new van!!

So i'd like to have it as good as poss for safety/reliabilty etc. Can't see 6K doing that.

As for hassle etc i run my own welding company and have a new larger unit to move into on Friday when i come back from Shropshire.We go a little quite usually around christmas so that would be a good time to hit it.

Thanks for the link MARK90, i'm on it.

My dearest wife likes shiney things like a magpie! this would be our family car as i won't let the kids in my new van!!

So i'd like to have it as good as poss for safety/reliabilty etc. Can't see 6K doing that.

As for hassle etc i run my own welding company and have a new larger unit to move into on Friday when i come back from Shropshire.We go a little quite usually around christmas so that would be a good time to hit it.

bit late in day but:

cheap 300 tdi 90