LT77 to Series TF Box

PeterW

As the title says..

LT77 to Series TF Box - who's done it..? And is it worth it..? Or is it easier to unlock the LT230 for 2 wheel drive..?

Thought it was in the tech archive, but can't find it... :ph34r:

Cheers

Pete

I had done that and it involved more work then you can imagine, unless you have a good accsess to lathes and milling machines it will cost a small fortune to mate. Going the lt230 way might be easier as there is a kit to make it into 2wd, or a cheap hack and weld job................

It all depends what axles you are running.

Grem

As the title says..

LT77 to Series TF Box - who's done it..? And is it worth it..? Or is it easier to unlock the LT230 for 2 wheel drive..?

Thought it was in the tech archive, but can't find it... :ph34r:

Cheers

Pete

Minivin has just done this, and we "went for a drive" last Friday and she goes well (its attached to a v8)

Lots of work needed such as an adapter plate, gears made and rear PTO plate made.

Im looking into doing this at some point.

Yeah - Tonk and I developed it a couple of years ago. Quite frankly I would have to say dont bother. We both agree that upon reflection it would have been far easier to have simply fitted the LT230 and converted it to part time 4wd.

The other advantage there is of course is that it means that every time you break it you dont have to make new bits you can just buy them (and yes I have blown it up once already!).

Notwithstanding the amount of machining involved, there are a number of parts to collect from various sources/vehicles, some of which are hard to find, you get all sorts of headaches trying to work out what will and wont fit to what, and there's an amazing number of other smaller parts that need modding to suit.

Jon

The LT230 -> 2WD conversion pics are here:

LT230 2WD Conversion

Unfortunately they're not in the right order due to a change of server, but you get the general idea. It's so easy even I managed it :D just need to finish the rest of the vehicle now :rolleyes:

Cheers Fridge - that was what I was looking for,,,!

Anyone have the 'bodge it' version of locking the centre diff...??

Cheers

Pete

Yeah, I haven't got round to Tx box linkages yet :unsure: TBH if they're too much hassle they're easy to convert to pneumatic for that extra bling factor ;)

Or go for a DII setup; its cable oppperated simerlar to a ZF shifter. I use an early (non difflock) one to opperate my underdrive and it works beautifully.

although no pictures have been seen :)

even though many requests have been made

Ah yes, ah hem, errr. I will get them at some point, Tony, however, the centre console has to come out (and that means undoing all the winch and ARB wiring) to get any sort of decent photos. I'll try and get something tomorrow if I do well with my prep for 7S.