Sunroof frame to roof sealing - what to use?

Stevie D

I'm putting the 300TDi Disco back togther having finished the welding to what seemed like the entire bottom 3" of the body and would like it to last for a few years.

With that in mind I'm going to replace the sunroof glass seals this weekend, and remove the frames to seal them again in a bit to get rid of a few drips.

What should I seal them with?

Windscreen sealant - the old type for rubber seals - I belive it stays soft / doesn't set?

Sikaflex / polyeuretheane sealant - seam sealer type stuff - my favourite option?

Traditional silicone type stuff - as avocated by some of the ebay vendors to bed the actual glass seal with?

What would you recommend.

I think land rover used a very thin paper seal...

Cheers Steve

a sheet of metal welded in place of the waterfall, or failing that tigerseal

lol I think your right - but I'm bound to warp the roof with too much heat or end up with a few pinholes in the weld bead that would leak as well. Don't want to go down the painting route or expense either. Anyways I like the light in the extra light in the disco with them.

Thanks, for all the suggestions folks - the caravan stuff is called butyl rubber sealant afaik. I've used that in a roll form to seal the rear qtr panels back on again - thought they were sure to need taken off again so didn't want to use too much PU based stuffthere.

I'll nip over to the autofactors / paint supplier shortly and see what they recomend too and then get a tube of something suitable.

I'll let you know what I end up doing and then in a month or two see if it leaks when we get the summer showers.

Cheers Steve