Warranties???

Nigelw

I have been heavily looking into the warranty side of shocks recently as I refuse to be bent over backwards and shafted for good quality shocks with a very good warranty only to be doubly bent over and quite literally shafted when they impose their conditions of use within the warranty!!

Old Man Emu- 3yr warranty- excludes off road use

Koni- life time warranty- excludes off road use

Bilstein- 3yr warranty- excludes off road use

So what am I missing here?

All of the above are supposedly marketed as 4x4 off road shocks, but they have implied a warranty clause whereby the warranty is void if used off road :o:o:o

Can anybody advise on the warranty applied to Fox shox???

I am not shy of spending money but I refuse to pay more on the basis that the warranty stands for something when in reality it is as useless as the paper used for the invoice.

I know Vulcan Bomber uses Koni heavy tracks and swears by them, hence my reasoning for looking into them, but at the rate the warranties keep hitting stumbling blocks I may as well fit Brit Part cheapies and be happier knowing they are 1/4 the price and that the warranty side of things doesn't matter as unit cost for life span they would work out the same!

What shocks with proper warranty can others recommend?

I bought bilstens a while back from Rimmer bros. One was faulty and was sent back. After about 3 months of trying to get them to accept the return I simply gave up. Bilsten have pretty HUGE tolerances within which they consider a shock to be acceptable. Rimmer bros also did what they could to be as awkward and arrogant as possible.

Tricky one. Trouble is 'off-road' covers everything from light light use to full on destructive type use so as a manufacturer how do you adequately cover your product? You can make a warranty on the product but you have no control on what customers will do to it and yet still expect you to be there offering replacement or repair after it has been well and truly mashed.

To you or to bilstein?

To me.

They were very friendly until Bilsten decided not to replace the unit. After that they were down right nasty.

Funny the warranty doesn't cover off road use as that was their explanation for their wide tolerances. Acceptable for off road use I think was what they said.

Just because the warrenty states it 'doesn't cover off road use' does not mean that they can refuse to warranty it. As a seller you can write what ever guff u want in a warranty document. However when it comes to it the law and only the law applies. Goods must be fit for purpose. For a shock that means it must act as a damper. If it fails to do that, the fact it failed in a field or a road is irrelevant. Only exception would be if you bent it on a rock etc. Tell them you will report them to trading standards and get a solicitor involved - they are hiding behind the fact the the warrenty doc stops 98% of complaints. They will fold easily if the right pressure is applied.

I think I will give the Koni a shot, I am not planning to use them for any challenge competition type stuff, but I am planning to do a few RTV type trials and driving days with the club, they are still more expensive than the OME and OEM shocks too!!!

Thanks for your replies fellas