Looking for information on a trailer

ballcock

Having recently purchased a 4 wheel car transporter trailer from the Bay of E, I am looking for some information about it. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261179645302?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649 Whilst stripping the drums off to check the brake mechanisms I found the name of Bradford Trailers Ltd. cast into the drum. Having done a Google search I failed to find any info. on them. I was hoping a member on here might be able to help me with a few queries. I am trying to establish a safe maximum gross weight. Looking at the design and construction I would assume it should be quite substantial but would prefer to clarify it correctly if possible. The wheels are my other concern they are possibly off a Bedford CF van they have a 152mm Pcd with 5 1/2 j 1183 12c stamped on the rim. although the wheels are serviceable with only a re-furb I would like to get a newer set or at least a spare. any help on these would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Having re-checked the photos of the drum that I took it's actually Barford Trailers Ltd. not bradford. That comes of reading it upside down. But this still gives no return in Google. Western As stated the manufactures name is cast into the brake drums and also the initials stamped into the bearing covers although there is no plate on the chassis the pictures don't really do it justice as it is solidly made. It may be that the axles are off a different trailer but it all looks as if built as a professional job. I think the grave stones are a stone masons yard.

It looks home made to me.

The axles could be off an old horse box, I've worked on a few that have had similar large wheels and tyres makes for a better ride for the horses apparently.

Most car trailers use smaller wheels, 12" and 13" are most common, some brenderups have 14" and 15" but they are on a much smaller pcd than yours 5x112 I think.

Its hard to tell in the pics but is it on indespension type axles? If so the size of the axle tube and the thickness of the swing arm will give you a good indication of capacity.

Post up a few pics of the axles and swing arms with some measurements and I'll compare them for you to what I have on my trailers.

The spring shackle looks very home made!

The shoes look about the right size for a 3.5 ton but the stub axle looks a bit small.

The box section axles might not be box, they look to have a very small radius on the corners, small radius corners are usually an indication of thin wall thickness, not a good property for axle tubes so they might be solid bar!

That and the rod operated brakes points to them being very old.

My new axle is a solid bar. It came from Peak Trailers www.peaktrailers.com What width and length are the spring leaves. Peak are worth asking.

The swinging shackle could be home made or looking at the age a small manufacture.

As for the wheels, again ask Peak. IIRC Bedford CF wheels were often offered at what looks like the time the trailer was built.

Thanks mmgemini. I have since found a manufacturers plate under the tow hitch covered in paint which when scraped back shows the manufacturer as Atlas Trailer Company of Hull. Unfortunately having started trading in January 1972 they were dissolved in 2007. The axles are 45mm solid bar supported on 2" X 28" triple leaf springs. The whole trailer is made of solid metal in box or channel of at least 5mm thick sections. It appears more than capable of handling most vehicles but would be nice to clarify the manufactures design weight. If only to keep plod happy if stopped.post-9641-0-10303000-1365445275_thumb.jpgpost-9641-0-90873400-1365445218_thumb.jpgpost-9641-0-99756800-1365445374_thumb.jpg