Midlife crisis? What should I sell my Disco for?

Tetsu0san

You and me both Jeff, wanna have a tenner on it who gets through the MOT first :hysterical::hysterical:

But I had a drive in an Evoque today, only way to describe it would be a Mini cross bred with the incredible hulk on steroids, admittedly it has just come out of a tuning shop for a pep up but very suitable if you got spare pocket money?

My wife currently owns (needs a wee bit work for an MOT) a 1981 Mini 1000 with a high compression big valve head and Cooper cam, hi low suspension and nice big fat 165/70 x 10 deep dish alloys. Got all of 70 hp at the flywheel and is still the most fun you can have with your clothes on! Will out corner most things on the road, but you need a visit to a bloody good chiropractor after any journey longer than 30 miles.

Try swapping from the Mini to a 110 and forgetting which vehicle you are driving...

Mind you in my youth I used to run a 1558 8 port 1275Gt which was, when it worked, simply astounding in a straight line or round the bends, get better fuel economy out of the 110 V8 tho.....

I guess this depends on your budget... my "30's" crisis I seem to have let loose on Camels... you thought about alternative land rovers? cruising down the road in a Camel puts smiles on everyones faces... there's quite a few nice G4's come up for sale from time to time as well as Camels :D

My 110 is my not my daily drive and you could say that it is an expensive luxury to be sitting around only being used for trips. However I love driving it, I can drive it for days and really enjoy it. MPG may be rubbish but smiles per miles is great and always cheers me up when I drive it.

It really depends what you want from a car but if you are looking for a Defender can be a daily driver if you are prepared to put up with the "idiosyncratic nature" of driving one.

If you have an itch to scratch I would say go for it, you very really loose money on a Defender and buying one now and selling it in the winter could even return a small profit.

Jason.

I've always said that the minute my 110 doesn't make me smile, I'll sell it. Irritatingly, even the pile of bits that's it's current shape make me grin, so I'm being forced to go through the expensive process of re-building it...

Having spent the last 6 months driving a modern car (a Passat, which was very luxurious and all that), I've had to sell it. The fact that it scrapes the floor with my driving style down lanes all the time was annoying, the fuel economy dropping to about 35mpg when I drove it hard (most of the time) kept making me think "I could be driving something much more interesting on lpg for this money", and the final straw was repeatedly loosing it in car parks. Who wants to look like the rest of the schmucks?

Having fornd that only 5'10" of my 6' comfortably fits in a spitty with the roof up, I'm now leaning towards a Capri. Different, I know, but I can't find anything RWD and rag-topped in my price range that won't make me look like I spend my time trimming well-dressed young mens hair...

I'm thinking that a capri is just the ticket, and a judicial application of MJ and LPG should see me on the road to fairly affordable fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Good choice and a great colour. I went through the same dilemma a few years back and after 8 years or so of Disco ownership I finally got the truck I had always wanted. My 110 was bought as a wreck and rebuilt from the ground up onto a galv chassis over 12 months using lots of components from my last 300tdi disco. I now have a reliable, comfy, tidy, 30 year old brand new 110. And it really does go well, doesn't leak, is quiet and reasonably refined.

It was the colour that made me look twice at it. Having been bought up around JCB's and all types of plant hire equipment, this sort of made me feel at home.

Also, it's not too bad for a 30 year old truck. The bulkhead is sound although it needs welding in both footwells. The chassis is good with only surface rust, but the rear quarter has been replaced at some point and this is already going again. Not a hard job, but it does let it down a bit.

The only major issue is a whine from the transfer/gearbox (I think it's the transfer box as it doesn't change tone in different gears, only changes at different speeds) and the engine is a little tired. It has a Transit non-turbo lump which breathes a bit and smokes too.

But still, it does bring a smile to your face.