Stub inner seal and bearing. Which way around?

Planning on putting the bits in to the stub later if i get a chance.

The stub seal has a metal ring on one side. Should this face the wheel or the axle?

The needle bearing race has a flat edge and a curved edge. Should the flat edge face the wheel or the axle?

My personal guess would be that the rounded edge would help get the bearing in, but only a guess I'm afraid.

Has the seal got a springy insert round it like a hub seal? I'd expect that to face the middle of the car if it has.

I think the seal lip and spring is underneath the metal ring, but can't say for certain.

It's a good idea to leave the seal out to allow lubrication of the shaft and drive flange splines - it makes them last many times longer than if the seal is included. Just make sure you fit the plastic cover on the outside of the flange with a bead of RTV sealant.

It's a good idea to leave the seal out to allow lubrication of the shaft and drive flange splines - it makes them last many times longer than if the seal is included. Just make sure you fit the plastic cover on the outside of the flange with a bead of RTV sealant.

Doesn't an end cap full of grease do the job?

it helps, but some EP90 will travel along the driveshaft too the bearings

But if i run ep90 in the swivel the needles will be in that, so i only need to worry about the drive member and splines?

(There are far too many options!)

I think we might be talking about different things?

The needle bearing in the stub is on the swivel side of the seal in the stub.

If ep90 washes the CV it will wash the needle bearing too as it's next to it.

The stub seal is outboard of the needle bearing.

Are we talking about the same thing?

IMHO I'd go for fitting the seals so as to exclude the risk of axle-oil from entering the swivels: it'll only dilute the one-shot semi-fluid grease from the CV joints (and then leak out the swivel-seals).

If you're worried about the drive-flange/CV-joint output-shaft splines, pop the plastic end-cap off every year, throw it away, and put a good shot of motorcycle-chain spray-grease in a new cap before refitting. That's what our fleetmaster has the workshop do, as 'annual maintenance' and we've never had a front drive-flange/spline failure.

IMHO I'd go for fitting the seals so as to exclude the risk of axle-oil from entering the swivels: it'll only dilute the one-shot semi-fluid grease from the CV joints (and then leak out the swivel-seals).

If you're worried about the drive-flange/CV-joint output-shaft splines, pop the plastic end-cap off every year, throw it away, and put a good shot of motorcycle-chain spray-grease in a new cap before refitting. That's what our fleetmaster has the workshop do, as 'annual maintenance' and we've never had a front drive-flange/spline failure.

I think you're meaning the seal in the back of the swivel ball, we are meaning the seal in the stub axles.