borg warner on defender handbrake question

ok guys, iv put a borg warner range rover transfer box onto my td5 auto defender . handbrake question would a defender td5 handbrake drum fit onto a borg warner ? or maybe a td5 discovery hand brake drum ? im only asking as iv no idea what will work with the defender hand brake lever?

iv never done this before so i appologise if its a dumb question i dint want to buy the bits before knowing what to get .

thanks in advance

Yes, the handbrake drums are interchangeable.

You can also use the RRC drum that comes with the Borg Warner transfer box if you have a 300TDi handbrake and cable. I've used all sorts of combinations and they can pretty much all be made to work. The TD5 handbrake and cable setup will only really work with a TD5 drum without a lot of faffing about.

there are rod operated [like early 90/110] or direct entry handbrake cables as on 300tdi & later 90/110

rod operated http://lrcat.com/39/4/49565

direct entry http://lrcat.com/40/2/9116#39/4/49564

so I reckon your existing direct entry cable operated trans brake would work, provided the backplate will mount on the BW rear output casing.

The TD5 handbrake and cable setup will only really work with a TD5 drum without a lot of faffing about.

I know a certain company who makes a cable which is 300Tdi / Td5 on the lever end, and 200Tdi / BW / Earlier on the other!

The BW has one fixing bolt in a different location to the LT230. The other 3 are the same. Fortunately, LT230 Drums have 5 holes in the back-plate so they can be bolted up to either. The one BW Drum I've looked at, only had the 4 holes for a BW transfer - so you would need to drill an additional hole for to fit to an LT230.

In short:

LT230 Drum will fit BW or LT230

BW Drum will need to be modified to fit LT230