Diesel glow plug timer relay times

This might be a bit of a daft question, the timer relay controls the glowplugs being on for a certain length of time and the light on the dashboard being illuminated are these times the same? I was wondering about linking this into the advance on my diesel pump also to make it start a little easier. (Diesel KIki pump on a Frontera (Isuzu) 2.8 in my 110 CSW)

Any thoughts?

I belive that the glow plugs come on with the light but then stay on for a while after it goes out, the idea being that at that point you have started the engine and the extra time is post-start warming.

If you turn the key on and don't start it you get the light, then a short while after the light goes out you can hear the relay click off.

The above is true for the 200Tdi glow plug relay, earlier models were different (with a hold-the-key-on type of glowplug system) and later models might well have been too.

I was thinking it would be like this, I'll get the relay out of the shed (wooden) and test it on a battery with a couple of bulbs to simulate, then try and fit it. Been a job I have had to do for some time now.

The light going out indicates when the engine is ready to be started. The heater plugs stay on for about 10 seconds after the light has gone out, which is supposed to be to reduce the cold start exhaust emissions.

I have mine wired so the indicator lamp is connect to the plugs ('cos that's how it is on the pre-TDI era vehicles which have no glow plug relay) and the light stays on for several seconds after the engine has started. Since I don't need an indicator to tell me when to crank (I have an ammeter for that) I quite like it that way since it's good to know when the plugs are actually on or off.

Nick.