Consumables and that kind of thing.

Hi all.

This is a two part thingy. Firstly, there are a few things I've found of late that just work a bit better than areage, and that I thought others might benefit from knowing. I'm in no way affilliated with any of these companies, I hasted to add.

Secondly, I'd like your recommendations about this kind of stuff. Where do you get your bits, and have you found anything that just works that little bit better? Specifically, does anyone know a good supplier of the stainless twist brushes for angle grinders? But really anyone who supplies above-average abrasives/nuts'n'bolts/paints/general workshop necessities, prefferably at below average prices. Come on, tell us yer secret sources!

Having spent forever locked in an old fridge truck box doing metalwork, I've found that some stuff doesn't handle the pace, while other stuff shines.

The ceramic abrasive flap wheels from Weldequip.com are great, and although they cost about the same as some zirconium ones, they last far longer (If you're not a berk, and refrain from plowing them edge-first into sharp edges etc). The 40 grit ones eat steel remarkably fast too.

I splashed out on a new angle grinder, getting the baby bosch one, the gws 7-115. It's tiny! i can touch my fingers around the handle! This really makes a difference if you're holding it one-handed for any lenght of time. And at £40+vat from Wentins Fastners in Yeovil, it's fairly cheap too.

In fact, Wentins deserves special mention, as they are the nuts. Literally.

And finally, Inverter Fusion in Honiton. The welder I got from them (180MA) is brilliant, and their rods etc are really well priced too.

Enough waffle from me, I hope that this helps somebody at some stage.

Can anyone recommend any mail order fastener suppliers? I appreciate the postage is gonna bump the price up but I have access to a decent range of M6 through M10 already and I just need to get the occasional M20x150 10.9

I have used Right Lines for cutting discs for ages but no idea how competitive they are now. Not ordered for a couple of years since getting a Plasma cutter!

http://www.rightlines.ltd.uk/

I have also used this place for hard to find bits and bobs (circlips, shims, and stuff) in all sizes. (warning big boys catalogue!)

http://www.ondrives.com/

I use Peter abbot west on the marsden trading/industrial estate here In Frome for all of my nuts bolts etc.-very good at even what I thought they may not have

http://www.peterabbott.co.uk/

John

I spoke to the guy in the above place yesterday and they do send stuff out by post-so it may be a good choice to give them a ring and see what they can do for you

John

That's a whole host of goodies, nicely done.

Does anyone use the decent stainless twist-wire brush wheels for small angle grinders? I can only ever seem to find them with £15 postage on them, from germany etc, but they're brilliant, and if I could lose some of the postage would be worth getting.

Thankyou all for the suggestions re mail-order fasteners, however none of the suppliers mentioned above actually list M18 bolts - they just jump from M16 to M20

In the end I used https://www.fastfixdirect.co.uk/

They were cheap and efficient, postage was good value and they list a comprehensive range of fixings. The package arrived intact, complete and on time. They do have a minimum order quantity which does get quite large on smaller fixings but wasn't a problem for me with what I wanted. I'll be using them again