Swivel Rescue.........

Gremlin

Hi all, just a little tip to the people out there that wish to rescue thier swivels when either parts are obsolete or rather difficult to source, or just plain pricey.

In my case i have stage one v8 axle which when i got had pretty poor swivels, so i went with the chemical metal route and applied this to them with sanding to smooth out the filler. This was about 8 years ago, so fast forward to this month.

My left hand swivel started leaking like crazy, so it was time to investigate, i knew what i was going to find. The filler used in my first rescue had detached itself from the swivel! plus the oil seal was hard and stiff. Now since stage 1 swivels are like gold, i went with same route for repair, with a twist.

After dismantling and cleaning i attacked the swivel with a die grinder (a bit unnerving), i opened up all the pitted rust marks, making them deeper. This way the filler material will have a better chance of holding on. I also cooked the swivel with a blow torch to cook all the gear oil and grease (thats after a bath in thinners) just to make sure is properly degreased. This is some thing i did not do first time round.

For filler this time i decieded to use JB weld, its an epoxy based filler. i found that the chemical metal used on my first repair wore away with the seal probably due to seal harding up as well. So i jb welded the swivel, and sanded it down, with different grades of emery, to a final wet and dry sanding with 1200 grade. This time i also coated nearly all the swivel and left a very thin layer of filler.

Well here are the pics (phone) of the sanded swivel (sorry no pics of the before)

post-116-0-14164600-1369164779_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-06433600-1369164817_thumb.jpg

So here is a pic of the inside of a stage 1 swivel for the curious

post-116-0-32188300-1369164948_thumb.jpg

And finally the collection of bits, all clean and ready for reassembly.

post-116-0-66443000-1369165101_thumb.jpg

post-116-0-73348200-1369165137_thumb.jpg

Assembled everything this weekend, and its leak free, now waiting for the other side to spring a leak!! It will get the same treatment. Hope someone finds its useful

G

Looks good!

JB Weld is one of the better epoxy-putties: I've recently used it to repair a cracked carburettor float-chamber on a Lister "D" stationary engine - it's resistant to petrol/oil and sets sufficiently hard that you can successfully tap a thread into it.

--Tanuki.

Thanks for the tip Grem. I have reinforced Stage One swivels on my portalled truck that is starting to suffer from chrome worm that I'd like to rejuvinate some day.

I think ordinary series swivel balls, with swivel bearing cup and railko bush shimmed out could be used on stage ones, as that is the only real difference I can detect between the two types, with the possible exception of material specification.

Hi bill, Yes you are right the only difference is the bearings are spaceed a little bit further, but the inside of the swivel is also slightly machined out to clear the cv. I will try to get a pic of the standard one i have laying somewhere in my junk pile. Should have taken a side by side pic.

It seems you can get a replacement pair of swivels from heystee, they seem to have modfied standard ones or got replacements, not too pricey as you can get a pair for the price of a genuine one, but still more expensive then a standard one.

G

Its not the quick drying one, you have ample time to apply it neatly, it sets after a couple of hours, and workable after 24hrs. I used a rubber spatula they used for body filler, which conforms to the shape you are filling. I was very pleased by the application as i was pretty easy to sand down as it was allready nice and smooth, it just needed to be thinned down and the edges feathered off to the metal.

I should be good for another 8 - 10 years, i hope!

G

I have a spare set I was going to refurb. My idea was to deepen the pitting and then hit it with Mig brazing.

I think that may rub down easier than weld. Does anyone think a coat of Epoxy primer and then 2 pack paint would work along with fitting gaitors?