110 Tyres - New 750/16s or Change to Tubeless ?

I'm aware that variations on this 'what tyre size ?' question have been asked many times but several searches haven't really answered my questions.

My '83 110 V8 currently runs on 750/16 tubed (rivetted) rims; I have four Goodyear Wranglers (which have given me over 60,000 miles and are near to needing replacing - advisory in MOT last week) and an Avon Rangemaster (in good nick) as spare. The vehicle is a daily driver on & offroad workhorse not a tool for an offroad hobby.

The choice available for 750/16s seems to have narrowed down quite a bit since I was last in the market. Given that I'm after an AT tread (50:50 on/off road) and something that I'm happy with at 70mph on the motorway while still giving OK performance on wet slipways, grass paddocks, the occasional mud and gravel tracks, etc I seem to have the following choice:

- Avon Rangemasters

- Goodyear Wranglers (increasingly hard to find as Goodyear have discontinued them in the UK)

- General Tire SAG (don't really like the sound of them in reviews)

- Various retreads (not my thing at all)

I've been very happy with the Wranglers but before I try to chase some down, what are peoples' opinions of running entirely on Rangemasters ?

My other choice would be to bow to the inevitable march of time and change to tubeless rims so as to have a wider choice of tyres. If I did this, I would want to keep as close to the same profile and rolling diameter to the 750/16s as possible. This is where it gets confusing and I have seen the following most commonly quoted as equivalent:

- 235-85-16

- 265-75-16

- 215-85-16

I'm quite happy with LR standard rims (welded & correct rim profile for tubeless, of course) and would have to source some. Idon't particularly want to go down the modular or other aftermarket route. So which tubeless tyre size shoud I be looking for ?

Many thanks,

Nick

Personally I would fit what you can afford that will fit your needs and also fit your rims. Nearly all tyres are tubeless nowadays but they are not always suited to certain wheel types and rims, alloy wheels and tubeless tyres are a match made in hell as they often after a while don't hold air very well and you may come to the vehicle one morning in a hurry and find you've got a flat. Regardless of wheel and tyre types and combinations I would always fit tubes without exception, the only thing you have to watch out for with tubed tyres is tyre 'rotation', rolling wheels, especially driven wheels, the tyres will gradually turn or slide around and pull the valve in the tube back into the rim, this is what's happening if you see a valve pointing at an angle sideways or half disappeared, it's the 'ribs' on the inside of the tyre that pulls the tube around.

I run Michelin Latitude Cross (or something like that, I can never remember the name) in 7.50R16 size on Tubeless Wolf wheels. They retain the standard Land Rover rim style while also being F-ing strong, 6.5" wide so able to accept a wider range of tyres, and tubeless to boot. The Latitude Cross is tubeless as I say but it is marked with "may be used with tube", same goes for the Michelin XZL which is an "army style" tread.

I like the 7.50s as it gives a good turning circle and good rolling resistance/fuel economy. The downside is the handling isn't as "nimble" as lower profile tyres (7.50s are 100% profile remember).

I would reccomend going tubeless, this will give you several advantages. eg longer life, better puncture resistance. An a/t like BFG or continental cross contact a/t would give a good onroad off road capability including snow . A change to 235/85r16 will give an improvment in comfort, and grip both on and off road . They are considered a direct replacement size wise for the now somewhat old fashioned 750r16 size. If you wouldlike me to expand further on the reasoning , which is based on experience and trade knowledge please feel free to pm .

My 90TD5 has been running a mix of tubed Avon Rangemasters (rear) and General SAGs (front) for the last 15,000 miles. These replace a set of Goodyear G90s (a distress-purchase - they were really cheap!) which I'd truly suggest you avoid like the plague unless you intend to spend your life driving across sand at below 40MPH.

Rangemasters are OK: I've always got at least 25,000 miles out of them. They're not too noisy either, and seem to survive standard UK motorway cruise-speeds (80-90MPH) without delaminating.

You're wise to stay away from the various retread/remoulds: the only 'remanufactured' tyres I'd ever trust were Colways and that was in the 1980s when I could call Fred Henderson at the factory in County Durham and - after a 15-minute chat - have him tell me what original carcases they were using for their current batch.

Alas, Colway/C-Tyres folded some time back.

I always use rangemasters, but was contemplating getting some General SAG next time. Now when you looked at the reviews of these tyres, you prob read about the old 'xply' super all grip type, used on series trucks, a bit like dumper tyres, but take a look at paddocks at the 'SAG' radial. A VERY different tyre, and was standard Landrover fitment to the South African market, for 90/110, so bound to be good and 'tough as ol' boots'.

Alternatively there is the Michelin xzl, available as new 'take off' for reasonable sums, but prob not a m/way tyre.

Or perhaps a tread pattern from this century might provide better performance? :P

The greatest choice is likely to be in the equivalent modern size, which is 235/85/R16. Wider, but that's just the way it goes. If I were to change from 7.50s then that would be where I was going, in a road pattern or very light A/T.

The works 110 uses Michelin xpc my dad runs avons both are hideous in my opinion they squeal and start to breakaway at the merest hint of spirited driving, I used to run 235 85 general grabber TRs and have switched to the conti cross contacts as some take offs came up at the right money, both blow the 750 competition well into the dust IMHO. I found the cross contacts particularly good in the snow better than hankook rt03s I had on before.

Oh and wolf wheels look very cool.

Will.

When I bought my 110 last year it had some hideously worn tyres on the original rusty rims (tubed)

I was faced with a similar dilemma to what you're facing now. limited choice, all for a high price.

On a well known auction site I found a set of 'take off's', which are apparently wheels fitted to a defender for delivery, these are then replaced with alloys of the customers choice and the garage ends up with a pile of spare wheels and tyres.

Mine are standard steel (white) wheels with Michelin Latitude tubeless tyres, which seem to be pretty good all-rounders, though I must confess I haven't done much off-roading, but what I have done, they've been ok.

They are excellent on the road, quiet and grip well.

I got a set of 5 new tubeless rims with new Michelin tyres for £550 including delivery. Not a bad deal I reckon.

Worth a look at.

Ralph

Thanks to all for the useful replies (and tacr2man's PM). I'm going to bite the bullet and look for a set of LR steel rims (ideally from a 130) and then put some 235/85/16 ATs on them. Will report back on how it goes (may take a while). Cheers, Nick

The only tubeless LR rims which will take 235/85's are the "wolf" rims, as used on later 130's.

As mentioned above, pick a modern tread pattern designed in the last few years rather than something from about 20 years ago.

General Grabber AT, BFG AT T/A KO, Cooper AT/3, Goodyear Wrangler AT/SA are all viable modern options.

Tyre choice is a personal thing, but here's my two penn'orth.

Until recently I ran on Rangemasters and was very pleased with them - I had no problems with them and for an A/T tyre they performed pretty well in mud.

I had no end of punctures with Michelin XZLs and even had one delaminate in spectacular fashion!

Unfortunately, it looks as though I'm going to have to stick to 750/16s - at least for a while. Having decided to investigate the 235/85/16 possibilities, I had a quick chat with my insurers (Lancaster) first. Their view is that changing to 235/85/16s is a modification - for which (having very recently renewed) they want more money !