I need a photo of a stub axle, Series III 109"

Michele

There must be someone here who can help :unsure:

As per title,

I need a photo of such a spindle, which has on the outside (visible even installed on the truck)), right between the brake backing plate and the swivel housing, an annular groove cut in it for identification (just like the Salisbury 24 spline drive flanges).

I'm after a pair, my mechanic may have some in the shed but wants a photo for reference, and I have none...

Anybody?

TIA!

Whats so unique? stubs are usually the same between an 88 and 109. I am puzzled to know whats different. All i know is early and late, easy to see.

I have several stubs all from dismantled 109 axles, let me go have a look and post some pics later.

G

Hey Grem,

thanks for the photos,

that could be "the groove".

While waiting for confirmation, the part number for the spindle is (was) 599827.

Be warned there are two different type, one for pre-rationalised axles and one for post-rationalised. This change was in 1908, and has three differences - first was that the seal land on the earlier part was removable, but not on the later part, the second was that the inboard and outboard bearings were different sizes on the early design but identical after rationalisation, and the third change is that a slot was machined in the outboard face of the flange, on the opposite side to the slot in the threads, which aligned with a hole in the backplate to allow oil leaks to drain away without contaminating the shoes. So, make sure you get the right version! My rationalised axle stubs also had the groove around the flange edge so I don't think that means anything - the stub in the photos is the early type as the inboard bearing land is thicker than the outboard - the newer ones lack that step.

The pre rationalised stubs for a 109" are bored larger to clear the 24spline shaft.

Wasn't it the post rationalised axles that had 24 splines? That's what my 1982 axle had, with rationalised hub sand stubs...

Annular grooves machined into various Landrover components usually identified them as being so called strengthened/revised material spec components that can sometimes be retrofitted to earlier assemblies. These 'grooves' can be found on ring and pinions, crownwheel carriers, swivel balls, synchro hubs etc etc. I can't say that I have noticed it on stub axles before, but the front axle stubs were strengthened sometime during series 2 production by not boring it out for the outer stub shaft bronze bushing that was originally there to support the earlier series one Tracta joint stub shaft and wasn't required for the later universally jointed shafts.