Range Rover classis rear propshaft (length)

steve200TDi

Hi,

My Dad has a 100 inch land rover defender on a range rover classic chassis with all the standard 3.9efi running gear, borg warner limited slip transfer box and 4 speed auto, running standard defender diffs.

The rear propshaft appears to be slightly too long as its fully compressed when its fitted to the vehicle, but has no problems on or off road what so ever.

What I want to know is what does a standard rear range rover classic prop shaft look like, did it have any rubber doughnuts or spacers? At the moment it has a standard defender diff with a propshaft running up to the transfer box. All I want to do is order a new one or find out what was there originally so I can work out what I need.

Thanks

Steve

My 1991 RRC, so with a BW box, also seemed like it was too long for a while, but never gave any trouble really.

When I removed it to grease it, the sliding joint was wedged together, but it's given no problem on or off road which seems bizarre!

Funnily enough I measured mine the other day (same deal, 100" defender hybrid built on rrc with BW transfer box etc) and pretty sure rear prop was 890mm flange to flange with no donuts or spacers etc,

I'll give it a measure tomorrow and see what it is transfer box to diff.

Thanks for all the reply's

Steve

When I removed it to grease it, the sliding joint was wedged together, but it's given no problem on or off road which seems bizarre!

Yup, same, wouldn't budge, don't think it can have been doing the diff pinion or transfer box bearings much good!

Got a wide-angle one from Gwyn on it now, but then the droop on the back requires it :)

Same here I thought it wouldn't do it any good if it can't slide and something would have to give, but nothing given so far!

I've given it a measure flange to flange where its sitting in the drive and it appears to be 886mm, so its not far off 890mm as mentioned above and found on the propshaft length thread. I guess I'll go ahaead and order a standard FRC8387 propshaft and see how it fits.

Steve