Idiot engine swap: V8 to 2.5 N/A Diesel

o_teunico

Hi all!

My bro has found at an IVECO garaje, just some miles from home, a MkII Disco I V8, with auto box and leather seats. Vehicle has spanish number plates, but is RHD. Engine is out of the car, with a hole in block. Codition, engine appart, A+. Asking Price: 900 Eur.

And here is the question: could be possible to use the 2.5 n/a Diesel + LT85 + 4x2/4x4LT230 from the Santana 2.500DC to, temporally and for using only at private land, power the V8 Disco? What about proshaft lenghts? Radiator?

I know it may sound stupid, but he wants to make the Disco a running one in the smallest time lapse and using already available parts.

By the time a Naturally Asthmatic powers three lots of air con there won't be enough grunt left to drive the power steering never mind move the vehicle :lol:

I suppose it is possible, but why? It sounds like a lot of work for something that will end up being pretty rubbish at the end of it.

I believe he's referring to the LT85 already matched to the 2.5 in the Santana, in which case that's not a problem.

However, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be cheaper/easier to find a replacement V8 and just drop that in.

If you do the swap, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hopes for performance or indeed for getting the AC working.

I believe he's referring to the LT85 already matched to the 2.5 in the Santana, in which case that's not a problem.

However, I find it hard to believe it wouldn't be cheaper/easier to find a replacement V8 and just drop that in.

If you do the swap, I wouldn't hold out a lot of hopes for performance or indeed for getting the AC working.

Remember where he is!

Not such an abundance of engines to choose from that do not have prohibitive price tags!!

But in terms of actual work involved and lots of small costs that you don't realize it really is better to shell out for the replacement V8 and do it once and do it right, the A/C will even work then :D

Yes, LT85 is already matched, from factory, to the 2.5 N/A.

I think that the best solution is buying a 3.9 V8 engine at a breaker and have the vehicle road legal, but bro says that he is going to make a chassis up refubrishment of the Santana 2500DC, and instead of leaving engine+box in a shelf in the meantime, he wants to use it for moving the Disco arroung the property (firewood transportation and such kind of things). The 2.5 has a power steering pump and A/C and electric wiring will not be connected.

Let´s see how this ends, because my bro is that kind of people that starts thousands of projects but never ends them. Just remember the 200Tdi Disco, that has been laying arround for four years now, and is still a non runner.

EDIT:

Not such an abundance of engines to choose from that do not have prohibitive price tags!!

Not as bad as I thought: 3.9 + LT77 + BW from a Rangie for 550 Eur. For 1450 he could have the Disco, the engine and obtain some cash by selling the LT and BW.