Side Lights

KarlD

All the new HGV's & vans I've seen so far this year have DRL fitted, so I would expect Yes.

found this on theAA website ----

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/safety/daytime-running-lights.html

As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

As a result of European legislation adopted in 2008 dedicated daytime running lights (DRL) have been required on all new types of passenger cars and small delivery vans since February 2011. Trucks and buses followed from August 2012.

New types, not new vehicles, in other words, all new vehicle designs submiited for type approval. Hence the Defender can remain DRL-less.

Back to the OP's question:

I'm looking to change the side lights on my 2013 Defender 90, anyone just changed the bulbs, if so what for?

What exactly are you hoping to achieve? If you find sidelights too dim, you should have your headlights on? Sidelights are meant to illuminate your vehicle when parked on a badly lit road.

If you mean replacing the bulbs with LEDs - then that's not strictly legal, although I've yet to hear of anyone getting fined for such a transgression.

All of this applies in the UK - putting your location in your profile can help others answer queries sometimes. Welcome to the forum, by the way!

Matt

2 questions - are the perfectly legal, e marked LED sealed units flat on the back (thus avoiding having to drill a larger hole - if you were foitting them elsewhere on the body - like above the door line on a CSW)

Has anybody seen a good adaption of an aftermarket DRL to fit in on or around the headlamp finishers on a defender?