Alternative to Lucas starter solenoid.

Ratty43

I've put this in International as it's a broad church but if it should be elsewhere then mods please feel free to move it.

This is a little off topic as the vehicle in question is my other half's 1980 Mini 850 but the solenoid in question must have been used by LR as well.

The solenoid on said car is packing up again, it's the second this year and is a genuine Lucas one this time. Symptoms are that the Mrs jumps into Mini, turns key and is greeted by a click and no turning of the starter. This has happened on three replacements now and in the meantime we have fitted an MOD rebuilt engine complete with starter so I think it's safe to rule out the starter. In addition to this it is possible to start the engine by jumping the two poles on the starter. This is why I'm fairly certain the solenoids are failing internally, although could this be indicative of something else?

Anyhow she works on a care round so has to do much starting and stopping which makes this pretty unacceptable so I'm now wondering if there is a reliable alternative to Lucas ones? This lead me to consider a winch solenoid, they must be pretty tough to carry high amps for long periods so is there any reason I couldn't use one to power the starter?

If you don't have a good 12v from the ignition switch the solenoid can work but not pull across fully and the internal contacts arc then stop working. Make a jumper lead that you can use when it does it again, one end on the small terminal and the other to the battery side of the solenoid, that way you bypass the ignition switch.

Also make sure the engine earth is good as that will give similar symptoms, they usually earth through the choke cable when that happens though. I take it the battery has also been properly tested?

If it realy is the solenoid it's the same as any non pre engaged starter equiped L/Rs like series stuff, or try the local motor factors.

You realy shouldn't need to fit a winch contactor, starter solenoids are quite reliable, I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

Had similar problems with "Lucas" solenoids on a 998 we own. Have you tried talking to either Minisport or Minispares? Also re-do all the engine earths and, I know it sounds daft, change the fuse box - we had allsorts of electrical gremlins, then I spent a tenner on a new fuse box and they all went away!

Lucas stuff you buy today is made by a different company (Elta or something like that?) which bought the rights to use the brand off TRW a while back. So I would be very surprised if they are made to anywhere near the same standard they were 'back in the day'. Not that they had a good reputation then to be fair!

P_P: Thanks for the idea of removing the ignition key section by a mini jump lead, it never occurred to me that that side of it could cause a problem. I have run a second earth as I initially suspected that might be the cause so I'm happy with them.

Bowie: Cheers for that I'll have a gander.

Jeff: The original fuse box caused us a ridiculous number of problems so was changed to a blade type a few years back. Interesting to hear you have had problems with solenoids too, I was wondering if the contacts are burning out.

Retro: Thanks for that, I won't bother spending the extra on "genuine Lucas" in the future. As a matter of interest the dizzy in my MGB failed the other day so as an emergency measure I pulled the one out of Father's Herald. It hasn't run for 24 years yet started and ran the B perfectly! I was surprised.

P_P: Thanks for the idea of removing the ignition key section by a mini jump lead, it never occurred to me that that side of it could cause a problem. I have run a second earth as I initially suspected that might be the cause so I'm happy with them.

Bowie: Cheers for that I'll have a gander.

Jeff: The original fuse box caused us a ridiculous number of problems so was changed to a blade type a few years back. Interesting to hear you have had problems with solenoids too, I was wondering if the contacts are burning out.

Retro: Thanks for that, I won't bother spending the extra on "genuine Lucas" in the future. As a matter of interest the dizzy in my MGB failed the other day so as an emergency measure I pulled the one out of Father's Herald. It hasn't run for 24 years yet started and ran the B perfectly! I was surprised.

There is simply so much carp out there for "classic" cars. The current solenoid is one I found in a box in the garage. It has no part number or manufacturer s name on it, so where the bugger came from is anyones guess.

The other thing to watch out for is the indicator flayers, I tend to buy em in batches of 10! Little bugger simply eats them. May well get to the bottom of that when I strip it down for a body re-build this winter, oh for the days when you could buy stuff that worked.........