Gearbox Spline Wear

Hi All,

I've been investigating the backlash in my lt85/lt230 combo.

I can see that the splines are worn - especially on the transfer box end.

The main gearbox end is worn too, but maybe not quite as badly. (pictures if you click the links).

Having no idea how bad is bad, and there's a good worrying clonk on gear change...

Can I get away with just a new transfer box input gear (which is cheapish and easy),

or is it a waste of time and I should save up to get the main gearbox done too?

Cheers for any advice/comments!

Mike

That doesn't look too bad to me, I have seen far far worse. Really bad is totally worn through and you have no drive (I have never seen this myself) and very bad is worn to the point that the spline looks like a shark fin. But if you get a new input gear the slack will still be there and will wear the gear prematurely anyway, so the only real solution if you want to eliminate it is to replace that and the output shaft on the gearbox.

However, worn bushes, diff play etc will also play a pretty big part in the clonk, especially the bushes that attach the radius and trailing arms to the chassis.

Thanks for the info.

Not that bad compared to some of the others!

I've already done all the bushes, the A-frame joint, and the prop UJ's, so I'm pretty sure that they're ok.

What's the norm for diff backlash?

Could certainly be that, although I would have said that my clonk was under the seat box...

Cheers

Mike