Not Landy related

Nigelw

Sorry not Landy related but tonight this has gotten so badly on my t*ts!!!

I have a works van a Peugeot Partner, 1.9 diesel, great thing does 75MPG all day, but it has a problem.

Problem being that it has some sort of EDC, now normally no problem as long as it runs, running seems to be the issue, now starting can be an issue too.

If I get in it and try to start it in the morning sometimes the glow plug light will not illuminate, no click of the relay nothing, now turning it on and of a few times can resolve this and it will start and away we go, but this week it has been an unholy whooore of a thing and it has started this mallarky whilst driving along, what happens is, suddenly the engine noise becomes a deafening rattle, the water temp needle drops off the gauge and the tacho needle lies dormant at the bottom of the dial too, same procedure, pull over turn ignition off and on a few times until the glow plug lamp comes on and drive on, but driving my GF to work now involves starting and stopping at least twice on a 12Km drive!!!

The glow plug relay was replaced a few months ago and sort of solved it when it happened before, now question is.

Does anyone know anything about these things so I can stop pulling my hair out?

This stems from wanting a brew after a bit of welding and having run out of milk, seriously hacked off now :angry::angry::angry:

Currently I am afraid to say that after the last fiasco that has been going on with our service garage regarding a Land Cruiser with air suspension issues, a Mercedes ML with a split intercooler pipe and "O" ring pressure sensor issue and now the Mercedes Viano has an unknown fault after going in to have new brake linings, I have absolutely no faith in them what so ever, my van went in to them to have the glow plug relay changed and a new set of front shocks, and it was missing in action for a week, needed a new FIP about a year ago and was again missing in action but this time for over 3 weeks, would rather try and find a solution myself, and no my boss will not use another garage either as the owner is a client of our practice.

Oh well.

Can't help with the problem but if your bosses decision is causing you pain at work then pass it back to him. If it affects your ability to get to clients then that is his problem not yours!

Maybe my own circumstance has coloured my view but after eight years of saving my company from themselves I was the one who got shafted!

Marc.

Its may be a dry solder joint in the edc or edu if it has one. Makes and breaks when it feels like it due to temperature changes, they one day it will just stop

You could try making and breaking all the connections in the engine management components.................

Worth a shot for no cost ?

The glow plug relay (and its light) might be triggered by the ECU so it would be worthwhile checking the wiring digram to see if thats the case. Many cars with EDC use the glowplug light as more of an "engine management light" than an actual glowplug indicator, thus it not coming on at all could point directly at the ECU, rather than the glowplug system.

Sort of ties in with all your guages dying too, again see if they're driven by the ECU or directly. If its direct, it points to some sort of vehicle wide power issue, perhaps a bad earth or a bad main power relay if it has one. If its ECU then again it points at a bad ECU, or bad powersupply to the ECU.

Can't help with the problem but if your bosses decision is causing you pain at work then pass it back to him. If it affects your ability to get to clients then that is his problem not yours!

Maybe my own circumstance has coloured my view but after eight years of saving my company from themselves I was the one who got shafted!

Marc.

I know exactly what you are saying there!! I am actually the yard man and horse wrangler here, the van is a perk of my position, it has been great most of the time but just lately this faffing about has gotten ridiculous, this morning no problem at all started and went about it's job happily, just went to the bakery for cream cakes for afternoon tea and stuck at the bakery whilst it decided to die on me.

The glow plug relay (and its light) might be triggered by the ECU so it would be worthwhile checking the wiring digram to see if thats the case. Many cars with EDC use the glowplug light as more of an "engine management light" than an actual glowplug indicator, thus it not coming on at all could point directly at the ECU, rather than the glowplug system.

Sort of ties in with all your guages dying too, again see if they're driven by the ECU or directly. If its direct, it points to some sort of vehicle wide power issue, perhaps a bad earth or a bad main power relay if it has one. If its ECU then again it points at a bad ECU, or bad powersupply to the ECU.

I pulled the temp sender plug today and reaction to that was the fan suddenly came on as though it was over heating even with the horrendous knocking from the engine, think I need a few hours with my soldering iron and some easy listening music tonight, or I am gonna finish welding my Disco up and put my vans reg plates on that for driving around! How bad can this be really :unsure: